Thread: Is Hydrogen Peroxide Mouthwash Harmful for Teeth?

Default Is Hydrogen Peroxide Mouthwash Harmful for Teeth?

Eleni Roumeliotou
    January 5th 2014

Hydrogen peroxide is praised for its antiseptic and healing properties. In fact, there is a new urban myth proclaiming that hydrogen peroxide is universally beneficial for all the body organs and tissues. Regarding dental health, this couldn't be further from the truth as evidence shows that hydrogen peroxide is actually toxic for the cells in the inner part of the teeth, also known as the dental pulp. Without a doubt, hydrogen peroxide does a really good job at bleaching and disinfecting teeth; hydrogen peroxide- based bleaching gels are essential for dentists and there is solid evidence demonstrating the efficacy of these protocols. On the other hand, there is a lot of uncontrolled information and advice, recommending hydrogen peroxide as an ideal everyday mouthwash. Taking into account that over-the-counter hydrogen peroxide concentrations can be as high as the formulas used by dentists in bleaching sessions (20-30%) and the growing popularity of hydrogen peroxide as an alternative therapy, the danger of potential long-term teeth damage by using high concentrations of hydrogen peroxide as a casual mouthwash are unknown, underestimated and largely under-discussed.

Read more: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/hyd...56d8a-86750250
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Default Re: Is Hydrogen Peroxide Mouthwash Harmful for Teeth?

Thanks, Islander. I have used diluted peroxide (50-50) in my waterpik a few times when I had a sore or injured gum area--which it did clear up--but I've never used it on a regular basis. I've always felt people have a cavalier attitude toward peroxide, with some even advocating drinking the stuff. By the same token, I've never had the desire to bleach my teeth. (IMO, teeth aren't supposed to look like Chiclets or be the color of bathroom porcelain.) The article explains why even using it as a mouthwash might not be a good idea.

Veteran Member

Excellent article, Islander. Thank you.

I'd heard hydrogen peroxide suggested as a mouthwash and tooth whitener, and tried it once or twice. It did leave my mouth feeling very clean and fresh. However, I have a healthy respect for the powers of hydrogen peroxide, and it just didn't seem a good idea to me to use it in my mouth. I've seen what it can do to clothes! I do use it for some surface housecleaning, though. Also, I've gotten rid of ugly, crusty spots on my back by spraying them repeatedly with hydrogen peroxide. If you try this, be sure to use the same old garment every time right afterwards, though, because it will eventually be full of holes.

I trust you are talking about food grade peroxide. The 3% sold in stores should not be used internally. I use food grade 35% and dilute it 10 to one with distilled water. If you do not have silver/mercury fillings a good alternative is ionic silver. Bacteria cannot develop a resistance to either of these. It's just that peroxide is a bit more harsh on body cells. I don't recommend using either on a daily basis as they both kill beneficial bacteria, too
    mitakuye oyasin na akita mani yo!

After brushing and rinsing, I "pull" with pharmacy grade 3% H2O2 by pumping my cheeks for just a short period of time, perhaps 20 seconds, and then spit it out and rinse the excess with water.

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    After brushing and rinsing, I "pull" with pharmacy grade 3% H2O2 by pumping my cheeks for just a short period of time, perhaps 20 seconds, and then spit it out and rinse the excess with water.
    If you're going to use it, that's the way.
    mitakuye oyasin na akita mani yo!

Quote Originally Posted by StephenX View Post
    If you're going to use it, that's the way.
    Agreed "StephenX", and after reviewing this and the other current thread on oil pulling, I would have to think that pulling with H2O2 for no more than just 20 seconds or so has to be more effective than pulling with coconut oil for a lot longer period of time, for the simple reason that oil is very thick in viscosity, whereas H2O2's viscosity is thin like water thus allowing it to much easier and thoroughly permeate all the nooks n crannies of one's teeth, not too mention it's disinfectant ability.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    ...I would have to think that pulling with H2O2 for no more than just 20 seconds or so has to be more effective than pulling with coconut oil for a lot longer period of time, for the simple reason that oil is very thick in viscosity, whereas H2O2's viscosity is thin like water thus allowing it to much easier and thoroughly permeate all the nooks n crannies of one's teeth, not too mention it's disinfectant ability.
    I'm not so sure it works that way, Grulla. What if the viscosity of the oil plays a part in pulling out toxins? I would still advise caution with hydrogen peroxide in the mouth. I read about a study showing that oil pulling actually does pull out toxins. I'm going to see if I can find it to link to it here.

Veteran Member

Pattypans, how does one pull toxins from the rest of the body (organs, bloodstream, etc.) by swishing oil around in the mouth? I understand that it cleans bacteria from the teeth, gums, and mucous membranes of the mouth, which keeps harmful bacteria from migrating down the throat...but is pulling supposed to do more than that? I would be interested in that link if you can find it.

@Grulla, I think swishing for 20 seconds or so with plain water right after one eats helps a lot. I do this all the time. It clears away food particles before they have a chance to colonize into bacteria.

I'm not Pattypans but I did find this about theories of how oil pulling removes toxins:

Mr. Jeff Sutton writes in Why You Should Try Coconut Oil Pulling for Healthy Teeth and Gums:

"
    The thought process behind oil pulling for the removal of toxins is that many toxins found in your body are particularly hard to get rid of because they are fat and not water soluble. Because they are fat soluble they can dissolve in the oil no problem.

How did they get there to begin with?

The mucous membrane in your mouth is among the thinnest in your body, meaning your blood circulates closer to the surface here than anywhere else. This provides the unique opportunity of drawing the toxins that circulate in your blood out of this thin membrane and into the oil to be spit out. Although effective, this process takes time. You'll have to keep the oil in your mouth for about twenty minutes before you spit it out."

Full article at:
    http://www.myyogaonline.com/healthy-...th-and-gums/p2

Reesacat is not only top-notch Moderator with infallible memory, but A-#1 researcher. Reesacat, thank for finding that very helpful information.

If I'm understanding this right, H2O2 kills bacteria but oil-pulling with coconut oil actually sucks out and encapsulates fat-soluble toxins for removal as well. It's important to understand why and how a process works in order to adopt it as a routine.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Thanks for providing the "how" and "why", Reesacat. Although I am more than a little skeptical about being able to "extract" toxins from the blood through the mucuous membranes of the mouth, I am sufficiently intrigued to give it a try.

As I mentioned before, I do believe pulling has the ability to thoroughly cleanse the teeth and gums, which of itself is a benefit. I recently recommended pulling with either coconut oil or sesame oil to my daughter, who has a lot of problems with her gums and can't afford extensive dental treatment. I don't necessarily think oilpulling should take the place of periodic professional teeth cleaning, but it can definitely be a beneficial adjunct.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat View Post
    I'm not Pattypans but I did find this about theories of how oil pulling removes toxins:
    Thank you, Reesacat! I agree with what Islander said.

Thread Information