Thread: 6 Benefits of Infrared Sauna Therapy

Default 6 Benefits of Infrared Sauna Therapy

Amy Meyers, MD
    January 16, 2014

Are you interested in detoxification, relaxation, and increased circulation? Have you been searching for a way to burn calories without adding pressure to your achy joints and muscles? If so, infrared sauna therapy could be the missing link in achieving your optimal health.As you might know, sweating is a great way to burn calories and rid your body of unwanted toxins, but how do you sweat when you’re injured, or unable to exercise? I like to sweat in an infrared sauna. Infrared saunas help your body release a number of toxins, including heavy metals, like mercury and lead, and environmental chemicals, but the benefits don’t stop there. With infrared sauna technology, you can also lose weight, relax, relieve unwanted pain, increase your circulation, and purify your skin.

To read the rest of the article go to:

http://www.amymyersmd.com/2014/01/16...sauna-therapy/
    Last edited by Reesacat; 01-22-14 at 06:50 PM.

Default Re: 6 Benefits of Infrared Sauna Therapy

There is some good information there but I want to give a few warnings to anyone thinking about this. I have been using one for about 9 months. I have one made for chemically sensitive people.
    "If you’re new to infrared saunas, I would recommend starting out with 4-minute sessions at 160-180 degrees Fahrenheit and slowly working your way up to 15-30 minute sessions."
    If you have chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia or any other chronic problem, your body will not be able to tolerate those temperatures and you could end up feeling really bad, vomiting and even passing out. Also, in the beginning, especially if you don't sweat much, your body will try to get rid of the toxins through the bowel. Many of us have a messed us hypothalamus/pituitary/adrenal axis and your body will not adapt appropriately to the temperatures, especially if you don't sweat much. I am using myself as an example but I know others who have had the same issues and one friend simply couldn't use it at all.

I have been using a FAR infrared sauna under the guidance of a physician. I have CFIDS among other things. I got it because some kind of toxin hit my pancreas, basically causing Type 1 diabetes. She had me start at 90 degrees and 5 minutes, working up a few degrees and a few minutes a session as tolerated. Initially I was doing 5 days on and 2 off. At first, no real problem but once I got up to around 120 degrees and 30 minutes (which took about 2 months) I started feeling pretty bad.

What she explained was that the sauna was causing my body to release toxins but, because the detox pathway is damaged and I was not sweating much, I was not processing the toxins and each session was putting more into circulation. She had me go back to lower temperatures and do every other day. It took another few months and I was able to work up to 30 minute sessions, getting in at 130 and out around 137. Just recently, she changed my regimen again; lower temps but try for 5 days/week. She also explained that for detox, the temperature isn't as important as the 30 minutes and sweating.

The sauna is remarkable for pain relief. It also helps my breathing. I don't want to scare anyone but if you have CFIDS, FM or other problems where it is known the methylation pathway is damaged (detox pathway) here's a few things to expect and be ready for. Start at low temps and short time. Signs of intolerance are major increase in heart rate, nausea, dizziness, feeling profoundly weak, shaking and diarrhea. If you start feeling bad, get out. Don't try to push it because, with orthostatic intolerance (which goes with heat intolerance) you could pass out. Again, I truly believe in the benefit but don't go into it blindly following internet advice.

I'm not sure that upper wall mounted infrared heaters may be a safer way and solution, as opposed to the sauna. They are a line-of-site heater that is typically mounted on the wall up near the ceiling, so as to radiate, just like the sun, on solid objects including humans, and then release the warmth into the air. They are available in 120 or 240 volts, and 240 volts is always the better choice, but needs to be tied in, instead of plugged in, unless you happen to have a handy unused 240 volt air conditioner outlet nearby. In other countries,240 volt is the norm, and not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    I'm not sure that upper wall mounted infrared heaters may be a safer way and solution, as opposed to the sauna. They are a line-of-site heater that is typically mounted on the wall up near the ceiling, so as to radiate, just like the sun, on solid objects including humans, and then release the warmth into the air. They are available in 120 or 240 volts, and 240 volts is always the better choice, but needs to be tied in, instead of plugged in, unless you happen to have a handy unused 240 volt air conditioner outlet nearby. In other countries,240 volt is the norm, and not a problem.
    There are a lot of benefits to that but for detox, you do need the heat and sweating.

I've seen a number of advertisements from "massage therapists" who contend that the heat from sauna therapy dilates blood vessels, thus lowering blood pressure. They state that when done regularly (2 - 3 times per week) sauna therapy can be used to control high blood pressure. I don't know what to make of this since I don't do saunas.

Years ago, I wasted over £1,000 on a fir blanket.
    Once I realized that Texas IS a fir sauna, I felt ridiculous, and rather scammed.

I'd like to mention that 160-180°F is waaaaaaay to hot, and frankly dangerous.
    On my sauna, I was instructed to set it to 32°C, and leave it be. No benefit happens if it is too hot.

If I felt the need for a sauna, I just could park my car in the sun and sit inside! It would reach at least 70C. No infra red benefits but plenty of sweating.

Ninety degrees F? We call that daytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    I've seen a number of advertisements from "massage therapists" who contend that the heat from sauna therapy dilates blood vessels, thus lowering blood pressure. They state that when done regularly (2 - 3 times per week) sauna therapy can be used to control high blood pressure. I don't know what to make of this since I don't do saunas.
    That was one of the warnings I was giving to people with CFIDS. It definitely lower blood pressure, both through the dilation of blood vessels and loss of fluid. That is what can lead to passing out when the body can't compensate. As to therapeutically controlling BP...not sure about that. It would probably be lower during and for a few hours after each treatment but not sure how long the effect would last but it is possible.

Thanks, mellow. I thought the sauna might immediately lower blood pressure, but I, too, would question the long-term effect. Might make for an interesting study.

Thread Information