Thread: Genetically-modified purple tomatoes heading for shops

Veteran Member

Default Genetically-modified purple tomatoes heading for shops

David Shukman
    24 January 2014

The prospect of genetically modified purple tomatoes reaching the shelves has come a step closer. Their dark pigment is intended to give tomatoes the same potential health benefits as fruit such as blueberries.

Developed in Britain, large-scale production is now under way in Canada with the first 1,200 litres of purple tomato juice ready for shipping.

The pigment, known as anthocyanin, is an antioxidant which studies on animals show could help fight cancer. Scientists say the new tomatoes could improve the nutritional value of everything from ketchup to pizza topping.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25885756#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa
    Last edited by Islander; 01-25-14 at 10:08 AM.

Veteran Member

Default Re: Genetically-modified purple tomatoes heading for shops

A little further into the article it states:

"The tomatoes were developed at the John Innes Centre in Norwich where Prof Cathie Martin hopes the first delivery of large quantities of juice will allow researchers to investigate its potential.

"'With these purple tomatoes you can get the same compounds that are present in blueberries and cranberries that give them their health benefits - but you can apply them to foods that people actually eat in significant amounts and are reasonably affordable," she said."

I find this disturbing beyond the most obvious reasons of the dangers of GM foods. It's bad enough when greedy, wicked corporations like Monsanto develop GM foods for their profit, even while masquerading those Frankenfoods as beneficial to the farmers. The damage of that is, of course, far-reaching, to farmers, to consumers' health, to the environment, to the very future of food itself. But if non-corporate affiliated researchers are developing GM foods (which seems to be the case here--correct me if I'm wrong), and giving them a consumer-friendly twist that could even appeal to people who consider themselves somewhat health-conscious (e.g. people who have read even mainstream articles about the benefits of blueberries, but do not understand the nature and dangers of GM foods), it seems to be spreading the GMO net further.

As one of the researchers noted, this new Frankenfood is "part of a new generation of GM plants designed to appeal to consumers..."

There are already purple heritage varieties of Tomatoes available. I wonder if these contain anthocyanin. I also wonder if 1) these researchers know about these tomatoes and 2) if so, if they have considered researching them but the cynic in me says "I, guess they wouldn't consider it as there is no profit to be made with heritage tomatoes that can't be patented".

Agree with Aaltrude.

GMO tomatoes. Well, we can add this to the list of soybeans, corn, sugar beets, alfalfa, canola, papaya. What else?

Wiz, see my post in the other purple tomato thread. You missed a few!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information