Thread: 5 Cooking Oils You Think Are Healthy…But Aren’t

Default 5 Cooking Oils You Think Are Healthy…But Aren’t

Healy Real Food Vegetarian
    (blogger is anonymous)
    September 19, 2013

One thing I always say on my blog is that no matter what diet you follow (vegetarian, vegan, paleo, traditional, WAPF, etc.) one VERY important commonality between all of these diets is the reduction or removal of processed foods. You can do a lot for your health by removing processed foods. Many pervasive diseases today stem from an autoimmune response to chronic inflammation caused by processed foods. Unfortunately, the mainstream medical establishment is slow to catch up to a lot of this information regarding inflammation. Diseases like allergies, asthma, hearth disease, cancer, diabetes and arthritis are more pervasive than ever before and so is our country’s dependence on processed convenience foods. There is a lot of misinformation surrounding cooking oils in the mainstream medical community, so this article will help you clear up some of that misinformation.

Read more: http://www.healyrealfoodvegetarian.c...lthybut-arent/
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: 5 Cooking Oils You Think Are Healthy…But Aren’t

I have readyou blog post. Yes , Grapeseed oil, vegan butter substitutes, vegetable oil/Soyabeanoil and canola oil or rapeseed oil. These oils are really good for our health. Yesit is true saturated fat is good for health. Thank you so much for article. Keepshare us.
    Last edited by Islander; 02-07-14 at 01:19 PM.

Compoundia, it doesn't sound as though you did read the blog. Those vegetable oils are not good for health!

My wife and I got into a tiff. She brought home an oil that was a mixture of soy and canola oil. I jumped all over it. Her reply was "it says it's healthy" After a discussion I threw it in the trash. When I saute I use a combo of grass fed organic butter and organic coconut oil. The article didn't mention my favorite oil for salads, dipping, etc. That would be hemp oil. The ONLY other oil I use is EVOO. I also supplement with krill oil.
    mitakuye oyasin na akita mani yo!

Add to that list, lard and bacon fat from my organic pastured pigs.

Stephen, that is such a good example of merchandising. Who said it was healthy? What authority did that come from? Phrases like that have the same effect as the word "natural."

"Healthy" and "All natural" are buzzwords to reel in the uninformed and the gullible. My sweet wife is neither (well maybe a hair gullible); but she had a definite brain fart that day. Lard and bacon fat are good fats, I agree. They are just not for this old vegetarian.
    mitakuye oyasin na akita mani yo!

I have heard and read so much recently that EVOO is not good for cooking due to it's low smoke point and that coconut oil or lard should be used instead. But just recently, I heard from two sources, one of which was Italian chef Nick Stellino, on the Create Channel, (can't recall the other source, might have been a poster on merc?), that the correct olive oil to use for light-medium temp sauteing/baking/roasting is extra light olive oil (ELOO), as it has a higher smoking point. I had never heard that before. I roast a lot of meat with the Adele Davis slow roasting technique, which calls for roasting the oil coated roast for one hour at 300*F to kill bacteria and seal in the juices, before reducing down to the 135*F to 185*F (depending which meat) slow roasting temperature for the next 23+ hours. That's where I now use the ELOO. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-extr...-olive-oil.htm . What say you?
    Last edited by grulla; 04-02-14 at 09:11 AM.

Extra light olive oil has been "highly refined," which is why it has a higher smoke point than Extra Virgin olive oil. Based on everything I know, extra light olive oil has much less nutrition than oils that have not been highly refined. Extra virgin olive oil should be fine for roasting at 135 to 185*F. Any temperature below 375 *F is fine for extra virgin olive oil.

Thread Information