Thread: The Food That Causes Cholesterol To Become Deadly

Default The Food That Causes Cholesterol To Become Deadly

Dr. Robert J. Rowen
    February 5, 2014

You've likely known for years about how dangerous "trans" fats are for you. They're so bad even conventional medicine has recommended food manufacturers take them out of their products. Trans fats, as you may know, are the heat adulterated fats found in margarine. Trans fats are actually far worse for you than saturated fats, which, in my book, are neutral. One of the biggest dangers from trans fats is that we've suspected they alter/impair critical enzymes that make beneficial hormones, like prostaglandins. But now we see that they can cause your cholesterol to oxidize and wreak havoc on your body.

Animals with high cholesterol are vulnerable to lower levels of a growth factor called TGF-B (transforming growth factor beta). If TGF-B is low in endothelial cells (inner vascular lining cells), the atherosclerosis process speeds up.

To read the rest of the article go to:
    http://www.secondopinionnewsletter.c...ome-deadly.htm

Veteran Member

Default Re: The Food That Causes Cholesterol To Become Deadly

"Prof. Peskin and I just wrote a book called PEO Solution. In this book, we detail how fish oil and cooked oils are destroying your health."

What has he got against fish oil? To be sure, you have to be careful what you buy, as with all supplements, but there are good quality fish oils available. You just have to pay a little more. My favorite is Nordic Naturals Omega-3 liquid fish oil. I would not buy encapsulated fish oil for the simple reason that rancid oil could be used and you would never know it. (High quality liquid doesn't taste fishy.) Also, cooking meat to rare might not destroy all the pathogens as "rare" is just barely not raw.

I have not eaten steak in literally years. I buy local grass fed, but the best I can afford is ground beef. That said, I think a steak cooked beyond rare is ruined and I lose interest. Overcooking also toughens meat. The only meat I insist on cooking thoroughly is pork even though I raise it myself. Over time I have accustomed myself to eating liver practically raw. I also eat steak tartare from time to time.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

@ LMW: Dr. Rowan has a bug up his ass about fish oil is about the nicest way I can explain it. He is more toward vegan/low fat. I actually don't post a few of his articles because they are slamming fish oil and it seems there is not credible evidence to me to back them up. (I post Dr. Rowan's articles to help Islander — we like to get some basic info in easy to read formats for newcomers.)

If you get poor quality fish oil and it is rancid it isn't going to be good for you. But the overwhelming consensus from highly regarded people such as Nora Gedgaudas, Dr. Daniel Amen, etc. all recommend fish oil for brain health, to fight depression, reduce inflammation, etc. Nora is a cognitive behavior therapist and Dr. Daniel Amen is involved in healing brain trauma and they both use fish oil and can actually see improvement on SPECT scans. Mellow and I live on fish oil and can tell a big difference in increased pain and brain fog when we run out.

Thanks, Reesacat. Sometimes Dr. Rowen has a strange twist on things. I agree with you and the authorities you cite – fish oil is valuable!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Reesacat--(laughing)--thanks for your comment. I knew Rowan is very pro-vegan/anti-fat, which is completely opposite from the Paleo way of eating that I prefer. I just didn't realize he was against fish oil as well. I, too, practically live on oily fish as well as the Nordic Naturals bottled fish oil I mentioned. In fact, fish oil and D3 are the two supplements I'm religious about taking, even during those periods when I take a break from supplementing with anything else.

Fish oil is well known to be highly anti-inflammatory and therefore helpful for arthritis and other musculoskeletal disorders (as has been written up by research scientist Dr. Barry Sears). It has also recently been linked to being able to halt and even reverse ARMD if taken in sufficient amounts (2 tblsp per day is recommended for this purpose).

Thread Information