Thread: Boosting vitamin D could slow progression, reduce severity of multiple sclerosis

Default Boosting vitamin D could slow progression, reduce severity of multiple sclerosis

Source:
    Harvard School of Public Health

January 20, 2014

For patients in the early stages of multiple sclerosis (MS), low levels of vitamin D were found to strongly predict disease severity and hasten its progression, according to a new study led by Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) investigators in collaboration with Bayer HealthCare. The findings suggest that patients in the early stages of MS could stave off disease symptoms by increasing their vitamin D intake.
    "Because low vitamin D levels are common and can be easily and safely increased by oral supplementation, these findings may contribute to better outcomes for many MS patients," said lead author Alberto Ascherio, professor of epidemiology and nutrition at HSPH.The study will appear online January 20, 2014 in JAMA Neurology. MS is a central nervous system disease that causes problems with muscle control and strength, vision, balance, feeling, and thinking. It's estimated by the World Health Organization that roughly 2.5 million people in the world have MS.

Read more: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0120173454.htm

Default Re: Boosting vitamin D could slow progression, reduce severity of multiple sclerosis

Great study. The idea that early stage MS patients can stave off "disease symptoms" by adding vitamin D3 supplementation is huge. Vitamin D3 has become a panacea much like vitamin C. Recently, I read about how vit. D3 benefits lupus, another autoimmune disease like MS.

Default Re: Boosting vitamin D could slow progression, reduce severity of multiple sclerosis

I saw that item too, Mr. Wizard. I decided against posting it because I thought the evidence was a bit shaky. I think I'll wait for more confirmation.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Yes, they acknowledged they were not exactly sure "how" D3 helped lupus, but several studies showed that many experienced less inflammation and lupus "flare ups" when taking D3.

Thread Information