Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One Tree: Over 92 Nutrients and 46 Natural Antioxidants

Default Re: One Tree: Over 92 Nutrients and 46 Natural Antioxidants

The "drumsticks" on the Moringa tree are what we call the pods. These are perfectly inedible by humans, unless one splits them open and extracts the little bean type thingies inside each pod. These can be eaten raw, I suppose, but most people who like them use them in a cooked dish. They taste quite sweet, but with an odd aftertaste that lingers.

The leaves can be eaten raw or cooked, or dried to be steeped in a tea. They require longer steeping than regular green tea leaves, so usually I steep the Moringa leaves for several minutes in the tea basket, throwing in a spoonful of green tea leaves for about the final minute or so of the steeping. Tasty beverage!

One caution that I had failed to mention is that the small flowers, beloved by bees, never should be eaten in their raw state by humans, but only eaten cooked.

The bark is a portion of the tree which I never have tried to eat, so will have to look into this.

Thanks Maurya, I hadn't thought of tea, but then I haven't got to the stage of having enough leaves to use yet. Didn't know about the flowers.

In the original article, it lists nutrients per serving - I'm wondering how much a 'serving' is?

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Stephen, what's your secret?
    A whole corner of the basement with lots of lights. We have rather high electric bills but I can grow a lot of stuff down there. I am now picking limes and eating a lot of lettuce and spinach. There are avocado trees, limes, lemons and tangerines. I get a lot of upper body work moving them in and out of the house every year. They keep getting bigger. At last count we have 75 plants in the house. Did I mention the pineapples and the star fruit? I have to fuss over them and give them lots of love; but hey, I'm retired.
    mitakuye oyasin na akita mani yo!

I can't believe you grow carambola in Door County! Wow am I impressed!

Holy horticulture, Stephen! That's a prodigious nursery you have there! I'm impressed too.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    The bark is a portion of the tree which I never have tried to eat, so will have to look into this.
    The article I linked to in another reply to this thread says that the bark is very malleable and good for making baskets and other handmade items. It can be processed to make a fiber used for making rugs. Its sap has a sweet taste. The bark and resin contain tannin, which is used for tanning leather used in making shoes, bags, clothing, etc.

It doesn’t say anything about using the bark for food, except to say that it’s sweet.

And this, from the same article, is very interesting: (my translation)

“From its leaves, flowers, or seeds, a product can be extracted which can be used to treat water for human consumption, similar to the chemical products used by water treatment companies. The leaves macerated in wells of muddy water cause the water to be clean quickly. If the water is not [otherwise?] contaminated, becomes fit for human consumption. In northeastern Brazil this plant is already being used for this purpose.”

There is more, of course, much of it having to do with food and medicinal uses of different parts of the plant.
    Last edited by Pattypans; 03-05-14 at 12:33 PM.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    The pods that contain the beans are another story; we consider them appropriate for feeding the donkeys, who seem to consider these pods to be a delicacy for them. It would be nice to know what portion they are talking about.
    Again, quoting (my translation) from the same article: "The young pods can be cooked, just like asparagus or green beans. In Haiti they are frequently eaten this way."

Especially interesting how water can be decontaminated!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I can agree with you more. Moringa can bring about so many health benefits. It can fight agianst free radical damage. Moringa helps to control cholesterol level in blood so that the risk of heart diseases will be lower. In addition, moringa is the greatest ingredient for th treatment of anemia.
    If you're interested in this amazing tree, visit here: https://wikihomenutrition.com/moringa-health-benefits/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information