Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Tree: Over 92 Nutrients and 46 Natural Antioxidants

Default One Tree: Over 92 Nutrients and 46 Natural Antioxidants

It's rare for me to highlight something called a "superfood," but this is one plant that seems to deserve that designation.

Christina Sarich
    February 23rd, 2014

Moringa oleifera is a tree native to the Himalayas and cultivated throughout the subtropics. Also called the ‘drumstick tree’ due to its odd shape, moringa oleifera grows very well in numerous climate types and offers many health benefits. It has over 92 nutrients and 46 natural antioxidants, as well as anti-inflammatory compounds. A superfood to rival most other superfoods due to its incredible nutritional value, it is also said to treat more than 300 types of disease. The best part – it has no side effects. Moringa is one tree to be extolled for numerous reasons.

For example, one serving of Moringa has more vitamin C than seven oranges, four times the calcium present in milk, and twice the protein as well as three times the amount of potassium found in a single banana. It can reduce free radicals in the body that cause cancer and speed aging, and lower blood pressure due to its high levels of Niacin in the form of A1 and A5 as well as Vitamins B3 and B10. Just 100g of fresh Moringa leaves contain 8.3 g protein, 434 mg calcium, 404 mg potassium, 738 μg vitamin A, and 164 mg vitamin C. Moringa also contains:

Read the rest: http://naturalsociety.com/moringa-ol...015d-323119937
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: One Tree: Over 92 Nutrients and 46 Natural Antioxidants

I first met this tree on my visit to Cuba in February 2013. I ordered moringa seeds last winter and grew a dozen tiny trees. This was an off-the-wall experiment since the Maine climate is not kind to the moringa tree. My hope was that I could share these around with other people who had greenhouses or indoor growing spaces, and I would try to winter some over in my own solar room. I'm afraid the ones I kept are dead… they don't look good. I'll soon know whether any of the others survived.

Actually, the tree is grown in subtropical areas in the US. Humanitarian groups have introduced it to certain African countries in hopes of alleviating widespread malnutrition.

Veteran Member

I did a quick google search using the Portuguese spelling of Brazil, with an s instead of a z, and right away found the site of a farm that will send ten free seeds of this plant, along with 5 'Barbados gooseberry' seeds, if you pre-pay the postage. I don't know if they'll send internationally or not, but if anyone's interested, here's their site (in Portuguese), where they also explain how to plant it.

I'm going to order some, and my husband's going to figure out where to plant a few! We do have a small balcony, but it requires a minimum depth. We'll see. And I don't know how on earth any berry would survive the heat in Rio! (At 2 pm today the heat index was 105.8 degress. I feel as though I'm melting.) Maybe in our 'winter'...

http://www.granjaparaiso.com.br/inde...ringa_Oleifera
    Last edited by Pattypans; 02-27-14 at 02:08 PM.

Take heart, I've had a jaboticaba tree growing for three years. If I can keep this tropical species growing in northern Wisconsin, one should be able to grow a Moringa plant anywhere. You can buy 100 seeds at Amazon.
    mitakuye oyasin na akita mani yo!

I found a website that gave a good detail description on the drought resistant Maringa; http://imaginezambia.org/projects/mo...-miracle-tree/

Stephen, what's your secret?

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Stephen, what's your secret?
    . A micro-climate???
    Careful on the carbs of the jacoticaba , 100 grams (3.5 oz) fruit contains 12.58 grams fructose. https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/...boticabas.html
    Last edited by grulla; 02-28-14 at 08:08 AM. Reason: added "jacoticaba" to avoid confusion

This article does not specify which part of the Moringa tree possesses all of these wonderful attributes. We have several Moringa trees growing in our yard, with many more small ones sprouting up. (It should be noted that said yard is within the tropics.) Usually we have some leaves in our dinner every night, whether it is salad greens or a cooked dish. The pods that contain the beans are another story; we consider them appropriate for feeding the donkeys, who seem to consider these pods to be a delicacy for them. It would be nice to know what portion they are talking about.

Maurya, all parts of the tree are edible and nutritious, from the leaves to the bark to the roots. As to which are palatable, I confess to having no idea. Why don't you be our Tropical Test Kitchen?

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by StephenX View Post
    Take heart, I've had a jaboticaba tree growing for three years.... in northern Wisconsin...
    That's amazing, Stephen. I'd never heard of nor seen a jaboticaba tree til coming to Brazil. I think it's so interesting how the fruit more or less sprouts right off the branches. It was a revelation for me! In case anyone's interested, in Brazil it's pronounced (more or less) "zha-boo-chee- ka-bah" with the stress on the second to last syllable. My husband once tasted what he said was delicious artesanal jabuticaba wine. I wasn't here at the time, so I missed it.

Veteran Member

Tell you what: the site I linked to has information on uses for the various parts. Within a day or two I'll translate some basics and get back to y'all.

Grulla, your reference is inaccurate. The botanical name of the moringa tree is Moringa oleifera. It doesn't produce fruit in the conventional sense, but pods of beans/seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Grulla, your reference is inaccurate. The botanical name of the moringa tree is Moringa oleifera. It doesn't produce fruit in the conventional sense, but pods of beans/seeds.
    Hi "Islander", I was reffering to the Jacoticaba fruit that "StephenX" mentioned.

Hi "Islander", I was reffering to the Jacoticaba fruit that "StephenX" mentioned.
    Sorry, but you did call it a "Maringa" so I was confused.

'Also called the ‘drumstick tree’ due to its odd shape'.....actually, it's because the seed pods are called drumsticks and apparently are cooked in some dishes.

I sowed 15 seeds last spring ( around Sep/Oct) and now have five healthy seedlings in need of repotting. Saw pics of large Moringa in pots, covered in flowers, so they should do well. Also saw a largish tree next to a friend's house last week - she said he cuts it right down at the end of summer and it goes dormant. Our winters are not cold, compared to US, but quite chilly , so it loses its leaves and grows again in spring.

My thoughts on how I'll use it - dry the leaves in summer, crumble them to a powder and add to juices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information