Thread: Stevia is the New Ginseng

Default Stevia is the New Ginseng

by Alan Hopking
    October 2008

Stevia has such astonishing health benefits that even the great ginseng itself will soon have to hand over the crown. Here is some of Stevia’s medical profile.
    Clinical Benefits

Let’s begin with ginseng itself; this can push up blood pressure due to its stimulating action. Stevia, on the other hand, brings high blood pressure down and regulates it rather like hawthorn. Green tea is lauded for its antioxidant qualities, but Stevia has much more of these youth preservers and none of its caffeine. Echinacea is lauded as the great bactericide and colds killer, but Stevia can even destroy E-coli, and is anti-fungal and anti-viral. Greater burdock root is an old favourite for skin problems like acne, dermatitis and psoriasis, yet it has been documented that Stevia does the same, and can also be applied externally to rapidly heal cuts and reduce scarring, as well as cure athlete’s foot. Mistletoe has a long tradition of anticancer use; however, Stevia has scientific studies proving its significant inhibitory effects on tumour formation and skin cancer.

Read more: http://www.positivehealth.com/articl...he-new-ginseng

Default Re: Stevia is the New Ginseng

Thanks Aaltrude. I did not realize stevia was packed with so my benefits. I only recognized it as a relatively safe sweetener. I am now considering growing some organic plants of my own. Can anyone chime in with additional tips such as seed sources, growing info, etc?
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

'Stevia in Britain and the EU is available by prescription only'. This is crazy! I hope this policy doesn't reach Australia.

Julieanne, that is astonishing! It's a food, for heavens sake! Any British or EU friends who would like a shipment of Stevia, please contact me. There are ways....
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I checked the date of that article (2008) and then found this on Wiki:

"Over the years, the number of countries in which stevia is available as a sweetener has been increasing. In 2011, stevia was approved for use in the EU.[8][9]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

Reesacat, as an expert researcher, I don't think we pay you enough....

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

I have tried to grow stevia from seed with no success. I have purchased plants from the farmer's market and done better with them. They don't like to be indoors, and our outside is cold enough that i'm limited in growing season. The leaves are sweet, but not unbearably so. I've not done much with my plants yet (planned to try to make my own sweetener like you would with vanilla) but i'm notorious for my poor gardening skills and lack of follow thru. It is a learning curve! (A steep one for me.)

If anyone knows of a good, wholesome source of seeds, I would do my best to obtain some seeds and to see if stevia will grow and thrive in the tropics.

I can't help with seeds because I always ordered mine wholesale in a shipment of maybe 300 herbs seedlings. I think Katee's right, they don't do well indoors. I have grown them for my own use but gave up because I don't like the odd licorice flavor of the raw leaves. Stevia is so cheap to buy in little packets that I don't fool around with the raw plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    If anyone knows of a good, wholesome source of seeds, I would do my best to obtain some seeds and to see if stevia will grow and thrive in the tropics.
    Maurya, all I can do is share my own experience yet, the people I have gotten my plants from obviously were successful. Stevia does not like extreme heat nor does it like a lot of moisture, both of which were plentiful in SC. It does need very well drained, slightly acidic soil and full sunlight (except when temps are really high, then some shade). I tried several times to grow it in SC but had bad luck. Hopefully it will grow for you. I haven't tried it here but am considering it. I have been told this is a good company but I don't know for sure: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-8160-stevia.aspx At the bottom of the page is info about international shipping. I looked at a few other places (organic) but didn't see anyone else who ships internationally. Johnny's doesn't buy/sell GMO and they are phasing out all Semetis(sp)/ Monsanto seeds.

Thank you, Mellowsong. I have read good things about Johnny's Seeds, as well. The requirements of stevia for certain climate and environment would seem to be quite different from the normal around here, so I might reconsider trying to grow some here. It would have to be grown in pots, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    Thank you, Mellowsong. I have read good things about Johnny's Seeds, as well. The requirements of stevia for certain climate and environment would seem to be quite different from the normal around here, so I might reconsider trying to grow some here. It would have to be grown in pots, anyway.
    I neglected to say that I got the plants locally in SC so they were being grown successfully but possibly in a greenhouse, not sure. It might be worth a try. They will do well in pots.

Maybe I've never discussed Johnny's here before? That surprises me because I know I've shared my opinions elsewhere. Over the 12 years that I was in the commercial horticulture business, I had occasion to higher former Johnny's employees as well as talk to people who grew for Johnny. I'm sure he's careful about carrying non-GMO seeds, but if organic seeds are important to you, I assure you that you have no guarantee — as you would from Fedco. Johnny's operation has become so huge that he can't possibly oversee everything personally, and non-organic items are often slipped by. On the other hand, it seems immaterial to me that a seed is organic as long as the plant that sprouts from it is grown with organic methods.

I don't mean to denigrate Johnny. It's just that if an organic seed is terribly important to you... well, use your judgment.

Thread Information