Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 Ways to Prepare for a Post-Oil Society

Default Re: 10 Ways to Prepare for a Post-Oil Society

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    We have Amish and Mennonite communities nearby that seem to manage well without automobiles.
    Don't they use horses? I couldn't have a horse (we and very many neighbors are on .6 acre of sloping mountain with decomposing granite). And getting a horse to go to Colorado Springs (40+ miles away down the mountain) would just be cruel. There is zero public transportation here; but that's oil/gas anyway. Hmmm...

They do rely on horses. "Old school" Amish and Mennonites who have settled in my area are close enough to necessities to be able to do that. I've read that they sometimes rely on English friends to obtain items (e.g. specialized tools, replacement parts etc.) from a distance.

If gas becomes scarce and prohibitively expensive, I can see some consequences in my rural area:

a) people will be forced to become more self-reliant, growing more of their own food and learning how to preserve it, etc.

b) using something like a 20-passenger van for intermittent public transportation

c) relying on bicycles to a greater degree, as the Cubans did during the Special Period

When pushed to the wall, people find solutions.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Hi Maurya, just curious, what kind of hay availability is there in St. Croix. Are there many/any farmers growing hay there with pasture for all those donkeys? Or is hay imported from the mainland or other islands?

grulla, our Crucian donkeys seem to subsist just fine on eating grass and various leafy and other plant products. To my knowledge no hay or other food for donkeys is imported for them to eat. (For the horses, some might have their diets augmented with imported food, but for most of them, they eat whatever they can find that is growing.)

Whenever we see a group of donkeys who live in the pasture across the street approaching the fence, we try to pick a big armful of Moringa pods to feed them as a nice treat. We have quite a few Moringa trees in our yard, and they seem to enjoy a change of pace from their usual diet of grass and tan tan leaves. They will grab a pod in their teeth just like a dog being fed a dog biscuit!

Why would anyone be looking for hay in a country that has no winter? Just wonder what prompted Grulla's question.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Why would anyone be looking for hay in a country that has no winter? Just wonder what prompted Grulla's question.
    Not having any idea what St Croix looks like or what, if any, natural grazing and/or ground water resources or any farm land it may have, I had to wonder how any livestock might be cost effectively raised and fed there. Here in SW NM, it may be horse country, but not necessarily hay growing country unless one has substantial water rights with reliable wells. A lot of Bermuda grass hay, alfalfa and others has to be brought in from southern AZ, CA or TX. Pasture land is not that common unless you own prime land around the Mimbres, San Francisco, or Gila Rivers. There are 3 hay dealers in Silver City that sell "imported" hay. I now get my hay from old time established Diaz Farms near Deming, NM who does a lot of heavy well pumping irrigation with long time established water rights in what's known as the Mimbres water shed basin district.
    Last edited by grulla; 01-08-15 at 07:15 PM.

Grulla, and to the north of you in your same state, ranchers must feed alfalfa to livestock between long spaced rains, even in the middle of summer.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

Hi "wr", to the north of me here in NM, is all U.S. Forest Lands grazing, right down to my back yard. To the south of me is arid BLM desert grazing lands. I'm located sort of on the border between the two regions at 6300' . But it's the ranchers with private land that may need to feed and supplement, as the gov't forest lands grazing are regulated on animal units to prevent overgrazing. There are prime areas along the Gila, Mimbres,, San Francisco, Rio Grande, and other rivers where there may be some exceptions. Allan Savory has been instrumental in trying to improve grazing lands in certain places here in NM, as was pointed out to me/us by "stoneharbor".
    Last edited by grulla; 01-09-15 at 08:10 AM.

According to sources like the Frontier Group, AAA, and others, younger people are moving away from owning cars and obtaining a drivers license. The Frontier Group (conducts research to promote a cleaner, healthier democratic society) found that between 2001-2009 yonger people (18 - 39 yr.olds) drove 2,400 miles less (from 10,300 miles to 7,900 miles annually). Bike riding, walking, and hitching rides have all increased among the younger generation. Also, car sharing is on the increase. Several car insurance companies now offer insurance that covers non-relatives sharing the same car. So, the world is changing. Read more here:
    http://www.uspirg.org/sites/pirg/fil...on%20vUS_0.pdf

That is inspiring, Mr. Wiz, especially considering that this is the next generation to shape the country's policy.

Overall, I'm inspired by the younger generation's concern for the environment. In addition, many of them are so strapped with student loan debt that purchasing cars and homes is increasingly more difficult. Funny how the universe works some time.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 01-12-15 at 09:05 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information