Thread: Is Gluten Sensitivity Real?

Default Is Gluten Sensitivity Real?

Chris Kresser
    No Date

These stories point to a new study which found that a group of patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) were not sensitive to gluten. (1) The researchers who performed this study had previously published a paper showing that IBS patients were sensitive to wheat, and that removing wheat from their diet led to an improvement of symptoms.

However, in this new study, the authors specifically isolated gluten and found that there was no difference in symptoms between the patients eating high-gluten diets and those eating low-gluten diets.
    This is a significant finding, but to claim that it proves that non-celiac gluten sensitivity doesn’t exist is both inaccurate and irresponsible. It’s a great way to get clicks and generate attention, but it’s an extreme distortion of what the study actually found.

To read the rest of the article go to:
    http://chriskresser.com/is-gluten-sensitivity-real

Default Re: Is Gluten Sensitivity Real?

I still am left wondering why a person who feels better health by avoiding grains, avoiding gluten, avoiding wheat, or whatever must prove to others' satisfaction that they are doing the right things by their own health.

Well, Maurya, everyone is fond of his own ox and does not wish to see it gored.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

OK, here is as good a place as any to have a discussion about this. Social reality is that my willingness to have my dietary intake conform to my desire not to ingest any gluten is seen a some sort of threat (as in someone else's ox is being gored). Why do so many people continue with their antipathy toward people who choose not to eat the same food as they do? I am talking about a person who quietly orders a meal in a restaurant that is different from that ordered by another person. I am talking about non-proselytizing or providing any information as to what thought process may exist behind my choice in food. (We all know how counter-productive this approach can be at times, in some settings.) How does a person perceive their ox being gored based on my food choice for myself? And why does this antipathy continue to be so socially acceptable?

I realize that these questions are slightly off the topic of whether gluten avoidance is healthy or unhealthy, but the social realities really are perplexing to me, and we have so many intelligent, perceptive individuals here.

Continuing that thought Maurya, you are asking exactly the same questions that vegetarians often ask. I'm not a vegetarian myself, but I see and hear it a lot. I don't understand it either.

This is strictly my opinion but here are a few thoughts Maurya and Julieanne:

Food is the biggest addictive drug out there — especially grains and dairy that connect to opioid receptors in the brain. It's like giving up drinking and then going to a bar and your alcoholic friends want you to fail to make them feel better.

Food is used to control behavior and as a reward so it is highly wired to pleasure centers in the brain. Food is often used to show love or affection. So if you refuse food the person might take it as rejection or refusal of an attempt to control you.

I was listening to Dave Asprey on Bulletproof Radio and he was talking about coaching clients and getting them to give up problematic foods, especially grains. He felt that we were hard-wired in our primitive brain to do what everyone else wanted us to do (including eating the food they eat) because in centuries past if you offended the tribe you were on your own and you starved. So someone doing something different is often seen on a deep gut level as threatening the safety of the tribe/personal safety.

And the brain-washing that you need healthy whole-grains as part of a good diet is so pervasive.................

Wise words Reesacat.

You might be on to something, Reesacat. People do seem to have a desire to bring others down to their level, in other words, to want to see them fail because they themselves have failed at some endeavor. Misery loves company, doesn't it? A successful former smoker or former alcohol or drug dependent person is seen as having deserted the wallowing, "can't do it" group, as that person now is able to move forward with their life.

As to the other thought, about the "primitive brain", I am not so sure. These are adults we are speaking about, who presumably have made some amount of progress in allowing their mature brain to take precedence since the passage of their own infancy. Or not…

Most adults are old in years but not in maturity. Just look at all the drama going on around us......somedays I wish Facebook had a "Smack the Stupid Out" button................

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat View Post
    "Smack the Stupid Out" button................
    Yes! Yes! Please!

Thread Information