Thread: Do Calcium Supplements Make Your Bones Weaker?

Default Do Calcium Supplements Make Your Bones Weaker?

Dr. Robert J. Rowen
    June 27, 2014

As you may know, calcium is critical for the quality of your life, and especially as you age. However, I don't recommend calcium supplements. So, you'll likely want to know where to get that calcium. I am repeatedly asked where I get mine, since I eat so little dairy.
    In one study, researchers asked 183 postmenopausal women to complete a food survey for one week. Then they measured their bone mineral density and estrogen levels. The results were interesting.

Women who got most of their calcium from food sources took in the least calcium (830 mg on average). However, they had higher spine and hip bone density scores than women taking up to 1,030 mg calcium daily primarily from supplements. In other words, taking too much calcium in supplement form can make your bones weaker. Women who took in calcium evenly between supplements and food had the highest bone mineral density scores.

To read the rest of the article go to:
    http://www.secondopinionnewsletter.c...nes-weaker.htm

Default Re: Do Calcium Supplements Make Your Bones Weaker?

It's unfortunate this study only lasted one week. A longer study may have shown a higher bone density for supplement takers. For minerals important to bone density, I advocate for supplementation. Given the declining minerals in our soil and the increasing use of chemicals on our crops, depending on our veggies to obtain these important minerals could be a crapshoot.

I almost didn't post this because the study only lasted a week....but the week long food survey might have been a good index of their eating and supplementation habits over years. Dr. Rowen has a knack for finding short studies on a few people to draw conclusions from.....sigh.............

I'm just one isolated example, but, my bone scan, a couple of years ago, showed hip and spine both in the green zone (with slight age-related compression in the spine — I've lost an inch in height). I take no supplemental calcium. I eat a lot of salads and dark leafy greens, as well as cheese and yogurt. I also sunbathe in summer and take 10,000 IU/day in winter to maintain my vitamin D level at 80. Seems to work for me!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

@Reesacat: Thanks for posting this article because even though it was only a week long the conclusion showed that people who "evenly" obtained calcium from food and supplementation had the highest bone density.
    @Islander: You are my hero. Your diet seems far superior to the diet of the average American. If we all followed your dietary habits, the allopathic medical industry would have been out of business long ago.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 07-01-14 at 06:47 PM.

I made the decision years ago to bloom where I was planted and move back East. I have the land to grow most of what I consume, both protein and produce, and the motivation to preserve it for winter. The money I save enables me to buy organic coffee, nuts and other items I can't produce myself and could not otherwise afford on my tiny SS pension. I think that, and an active lifestyle, are key to good health and longevity!

(I just got back from a 4-day visit with my NYC family and watched my son-in-law run in a 5k race. Winner in the senior category: a 79-year-old woman. I can't do that — but wish I could!)
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information