Thread: Blueberries 'reverse memory loss'

Default Blueberries 'reverse memory loss'

Thursday, 12 June 2008

Eating blueberries can reverse memory loss and may have implications in the treatment of diseases like Alzheimer's, University of Reading scientists claim.
    Scientists found adding foods like blueberries to a regular diet, resulted in improvements in memory.
    The foods, known as flavonoids, were historically believed to act as antioxidants in human bodies.
    But the study indicates they also activate the part of the brain which controls learning and memory.
    Dr Jeremy Spencer, from the department of food biosciences at the university, said: "Scientists have known of the potential health benefits of diets rich in fresh fruits for a long time.
    "Our research provides scientific evidence to show that blueberries are good for you and supports the idea that a diet-based approach could potentially be used to increase memory capacity.
    "We will be taking these findings to the next level by investigating the effects of diets rich in flavonoids on individuals suffering from cognitive impairment and possibly Alzheimer's disease."
    The research has been published in the Free Radical Biology and Medicine journal.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7450032.stm

Default Re: Blueberries 'reverse memory loss'

I am hearing time and time again-eat a rainbow of veggies and fruits every day.
    The deeper the color the better.
    Makes for a colorful plate!

For those that juice, I am putting cranberries, an apple or two, carrots and a slice each of lemon and ginger for a great fall juice drink.

The fresh cranberries taste really good!

For those that juice, I am putting cranberries, an apple or two, carrots and a slice each of lemon and ginger for a great fall juice drink.

The fresh cranberries taste really good![/quote]

Cool recipe. I am going to try it. Ginger gives me a bit of insomnia, but the rest looks great.
    I love carrot juice; it makes my coke cravings go away for some reason. Have you tried carrot, apple, and ginger?

Yes-that is one of my favorite
    Carrot juice (according to the "Know the Cause" people who have a whole website devoted to fungus) is a prime yeast/fungus fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat
    Yes-that is one of my favorite
    Carrot juice (according to the "Know the Cause" people who have a whole website devoted to fungus) is a prime yeast/fungus fighter.
    I also love blueberries. Bananas are definitely my favourite fruit but blueberries are not far behind.
    I'm a fan of carrot juice too but according to Dr mercola it should be avoided or its intake should be kept low because of its high sugar content. Anyone have any comments about this.

I have read that-but I only juice two carrots.
    I don't get a sugar-hit from it. I actually feel good with no hang-over like I would if it was the same amount of sugar water.
    I have read somewhere that carrots are high on the glycemic index, but not on the actual glycemic load (the way the body processes the food).
    I would imagine if you have diabetes you could use your blood glucose meter to check after drinking carrot juice and see how you do.

Another good question, Aaltrude! You really make me think about things. I enjoy hearing good questions and the forum's answers-I will often wash dishes and just mull over what people say.

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat

I enjoy hearing good questions and the forum's answers-I will often wash dishes and just mull over what people say.
    Which brings to mind another question.
    What do folks here use for washing dishes?
    We use just plain old hot water because we are concerned about the potential health effects of detergent residues left on the plates, cutlery. pots and pans etc, that you will then be eating along with the next meal. I know from my days working in a laboratory, that in a home situation it is impossible to rinse off all residues. There are tests that are adversely effected by detergent residues and the extent we had to go to to remove all the residues so the tests would not be effected are well beyonhd what could be achieved at home.
    We also do not use a dish washer for several reasons. The first being the potent cleaners that are used in dishwashers but we are also concerned about the water and electricity they use. We are also have a septic tank and they are certainly not septic tank friendly. There was a dishwasher in our current house when we bought it. The dishwasher was removed and we put in a cupboard instead for the extra storage space.
    Last edited by Aaltrude; 12-07-08 at 01:53 PM.

Veteran Member

I don't have a dishwasher and am one of those weird people that really doesn't mind doing dishes by hand. I use Down To Earth brand here.

Default Re: Blueberries 'reverse memory loss'/Now dishes

I have a dishwasher BUT, I use 7th Generation (no chlorine and other harsh chemicals) alternated with my own concoction of baking soda/borax/salt. I found using just the baking soda mix, that within a few washes the dishes are coated in a white film, but alternating they seem ok. For handwashing, I use 7th generation Free and Clear dish soap.

I have never owned a dishwasher. I use ordinary dish detergent, mostly because it's a cost factor. Ddoesn't take much, though.

And carrots are part of my daily juice, regardless of what else goes in. I get the lowest BG reading of the day after lunch, so they don't have an adverse effect (but so many other things do -- even quinoa!)

Oh -- hand & shower -- homemade soaps.

Someone wrote in on VV not too long ago (it was one of you guys... it was a chemist) that soap takes a lot to get off of items, and so now I just wash my dishes in the dishwasher without soap b/c my dishwasher gets so hot that when you open it in mid cycle, the steam goes everywhere. So with that, I figured that I must be sterilizing the hell out of my dishes with or without soap!

Yep, and getting all the food remnants of the dishes is probably the most important thing. Even bugs need food to grow.

Thread Information