Thread: Maximizing Methylation: The Key to Healthy Aging

Default Maximizing Methylation: The Key to Healthy Aging

Yes, it's dated, but there are useful explanations and recommendations here.

Mark Hyman, MD
    February 8, 2011

TAKING JUST A FEW vitamins CAN optimize the function of ALL your body’s systems. It’s true. But you have to know what to take and you have to know why these supplements work …

That’s why, in this week’s blog, I am going to discuss one of the most important biochemical processes for long-term health and how you can keep it running at its very best with supplements and other measures.

Unfortunately, many people suffer from one or more of the 8 factors that negatively impact this biochemical process, so problems in this area are widespread though many don’t realize they are suffering.

Read more: http://drhyman.com/blog/2011/02/08/m...aging-2/#close
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Maximizing Methylation: The Key to Healthy Aging

I'd ditch the grains as sources of folate and disagree with minimizing animal protein but the rest are pretty sound.

Many people have inherited the MTHFR genetic mutation, either in homozygous or heterozygous form. In these cases, they would greatly benefit from consuming the methylated forms of folate and B-12. For those who do not possess this genetic mutation, however, the methylated supplements have been known to cause the person to feel BSC. *

* Bat Shit Crazy

I agree with Reesacat. I have always thought of leafy greens as the best source of folate. Recent research suggests that grains have no benefits — quite the reverse, in fact. Of course, this article was published before the advent of Davis and Perlmutter. Today we know better, thanks to these two authors.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Maurya — that is a good point about the MTHFR and BSC.....we need a like button for BSC!

Basic rule of thumb — if you start a supplement and feel worse, stop. Listen to your body.

Maurya, love the BSC comment. Some people are called over-methylators and this has to do with both MTHFR and the COMT genes. Those taking methylated supplements with uncontrolled overmehtylation are likely to experience multiple major problems. Like Reesacat said, if you start a supplement and feel bad, listen to your body. Some of it may be detox and starting very low and raising slowly will help that but if you are giving your body something it doesn't want, you need to stop it.

I am going to be oversimplifying things a bit here but here are some reasons I don't like this article.
    After having done a genetic test and delving deep into methylation, I have come to the conclusion that there is absolutely NO way to simplify it and protocols are going to vary person to person. There are many more genes involved in methylation than just MTHFR and although the 1298C mutation does not lead to high homocysteine like 677t does, they are finding it is a significant problem although ignored by mainstream. On top of other genes, you have to consider epigenetics too, where the environment plays a role in switching genes on and off.

He's got some outright BAD information here too.
    1. Contrary to what he says, folate and folic acid are NOT the same thing. You should not take folic acid if you have any MTHFR mutation. In high doses it is toxic in and of itself but more importantly, it prevents the folate your body needs from getting into cells. Folic acid has also been proven to stimulate the growth of cancer cells in high concentrations. These concentrations are easily met because of the fortification of so many foods with folic acid. (if you are eating grains and processed foods). Those with the 677t mutation have very limited ability to turn folic acid into folate. Those with the 1298c mutation don't have as much of a decrease in gene activity as 677t but in turn, they have problems with low biopterin (BH4) which is a cofactor needed to produce enzymes which in turn produce neurotransmitters. 5 methyl folate is required for the production of BH4 and it takes a huge amount of folic acid to provide enough 5 methyl folate to make BH4. Again, I don't know enough to totally explain this but folic acid is a bad things.
    2. Vitamin B6 AS PYRIDOXINE is toxic but P-5-P, a naturally occurring form is not. Pyridoxine is synthetic. Again he's lumping synthetic and natural together and these are 2 instances where there is a significant difference.

Thanks for the very good explanation, Mellowsong. I had been trying to keep it simple, but perhaps in the process I oversimplified a complex issue. I would agree with every point in your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    Thanks for the very good explanation, Mellowsong. I had been trying to keep it simple, but perhaps in the process I oversimplified a complex issue. I would agree with every point in your comment.
    You are probably right to keep it simpler...I tend to over explain, lol

Thread Information