Cort Johnson
July 6, 2014

A Different Kind of Neurological Disorder

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is sometimes described as a neurological disorder – as if that term described something discrete. When people first spoke of ME/CFS as a neurological disorder they probably meant a central nervous system condition – problems with the nerves in the brain or spinal cord. Van Elzakker and others opened up the idea that infections in the vagus nerve and dorsal root ganglia and other nervous system tissues close to the CNS tissues may be present. Nerves all over the body are being questioned in ME/CFS.

Now Dr. Rowe proposes a different kind of nervous system problem is present. Fibromyalgia studies suggest damage to the small unmyelinated (and perhaps larger myelinated) nerve fibers on the periphery of the body in the skin and perhaps extending inwards may have occurred in some people. Some postural orthostatic tachycardia studies suggest that ‘cardiac denervation’ – damage to the nerves in the heart -may be present.

Read more: ‘Strained’ – Are Neuromuscular Problems Causing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/2014...ndrome-me-cfs/