Thread: Fruit and veg may boost bone health: study

Default Fruit and veg may boost bone health: study

By Stephen Daniells, 04-Dec-2008

Increasing the alkali content of the diet by eating food such as fruit and vegetables may reduce calcium excretion and boost bone health, says a new study.

Diets high in protein and cereal grain produce an excess of acid in the body, which may increase calcium excretion, according to results to be published in the January issue of the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.
    "When it comes to dietary concerns regarding bone health, calcium and vitamin D have received the most attention, but there is increasing evidence that the acid/base balance of the diet is also important," said lead author Bess Dawson-Hughes from Tufts University in Boston.
    Bone health is becoming a major segment of the supplements and functional foods market, as ageing populations and the additional strain from obesity swell the numbers affected by osteoporosis. Already the lifetime risk for a woman to have an osteoporotic fracture is 30-40 per cent and in men the risk is about 13 per cent.
    As adults age they become less able to excrete the acid produced via dietary metabolism, explained Dawson-Hughes. Reacting to the increasing acid levels, the body counters this by bone resorption, a process by which bones are broken down, releasing minerals such as calcium, phosphates, and alkaline (basic) salts into the blood. Bone resorption weakens the bones and increases the risk of fracture.
    Tufts researchers, in collaboration with scientists from Northeastern University in Boston, recruited 171 men and women aged 50 or older and randomly assigned them to receive supplements of potassium bicarbonate, sodium bicarbonate, potassium chloride or placebo for three months.
    Dawson-Hughes and her co-workers report that only bicarbonate-receiving volunteers had significant reductions in calcium excretion, which indicated a reduction in bone resorption.
    “When fruits and vegetables are metabolized they add bicarbonate, an alkaline compound, to the body," said Dr. Dawson Hughes. "Our study found that bicarbonate had a favorable effect on bone resorption and calcium excretion. This suggests that increasing the alkali content of the diet may attenuate bone loss in healthy older adults."
    Major changes
    “Achieving alkali-producing diets would require drastic changes in food choices and be challenging in older people who tend to have long-established dietary patterns,” wrote the researchers.
    “Should it be shown to be beneficial, an alternative approach may be to administer bicarbonate in supplement form or to lower the acid-producing capacity of selected foods through alkali fortification,” they added.
    Source: Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism
    January 2009, doi:10.1210/jc.2008-1662
    "Treatment with Potassium Bicarbonate Lowers Calcium Excretion and Bone Resorption in Older Men and Women"
    Authors: B. Dawson-Hughes, S.S. Harris, N.J. Palermo, C. Castaneda-Sceppa, H.M. Rasmussen, G.E. Dallal

Source: http://tinyurl.com/6dtbl7

Veteran Member

Default Re: Fruit and veg may boost bone health: study

One caveat - it's never that simple. Calcium excretion is not just an indicator of bone resorption. Consider that calcium deposited into the arteries is not a good thing. Artery calcification is a hundred-fold better predictor of adverse cardiac events that piffling cholesterol, CRP, lipoprotein-a, homocysteine and many other tests.
    The question is why is the calcium being deposited into the arteries.

Okay, I'll bite. Why is the calcium being deposited into the arteries?

Quote Originally Posted by Islander
    Okay, I'll bite. Why is the calcium being deposited into the arteries?
    Mainstream medicine says that is is caused by high circulating lipids in the blood. Other research says that it is because of not enough vitamin K2 in the diet. K2 comes from animal sources and is synthesized in the gut by bacteria. K1 is from plant sources and not all that good for us. I believe that K2 deficiency is at least part of the answer because other studies have shown people on Coumadin for a long time(which antagonized Vitamin K) have high levels of Calcium in their arteries. Best sources of K2 besides supplements are: raw butter from grassfed animals (especially when the grass is growing rapidly) and lactofermented dairy like kefir.

Snippet from one study I just scanned: The researchers found that participants with moderate deposit amounts had more than a seven times greater risk of cardiac heart disease compared to people with no coronary calcium buildup. Participants with large deposit amounts faced a 10 times greater risk

Patty, thx for that info!

Preceding comments set me on a search. Here's some of what I found:

Mammals can synthesize K2 MK-4 from K1, but humans seem to be bad at it since most of us are K2 deficient despite eating ample K1. This suggests that through evolution, we lost the ability to synthesize K2 in sufficient amounts because we always obtained it abundantly in our diets from nutrient-dense animal tissues.

The synergism Weston Price observed between vitamins A, D and K2 now has a solid mechanism. In a nutshell, vitamins A and D signal the production of some very important proteins, and K2 is required to activate them once they are made. Many of these proteins are involved in mineral metabolism, thus the effects Price saw in his experiments and observations in non-industrialized cultures. For example, osteocalcin is a protein that organizes calcium and phosphorus deposition in the bones and teeth. It's produced by cells in response to vitamins A and D, but requires K2 to perform its function. This suggests that the effects of vitamin D on bone health could be amplified greatly if it were administered along with K2. By itself, K2 is already highly protective against fractures in the elderly. It works out perfectly, since K2 also protects against vitamin D toxicity.

I'm not going to go through all the other data on K2 in detail, but suffice it to say it's very very important. I believe that K2 is a 'missing link' that explains many of our modern ills, just as Weston Price wrote. Here are a few more tidbits to whet your appetite: K2 may affect glucose control and insulin release (1, 2). It's concentrated in the brain, serving an as yet unknown function.

In my opinion, vitamins A, D and K2 are among the very few micronutrients worth worrying about in your diet. Hunter-gatherers didn't have multivitamins, they had nutrient-dense animal foods....

Vitamin K2, MK-4 is only found in animal products. The best sources known are grass-fed butter from cows eating rapidly growing grass, and foie gras. K2 tends to associate with beta-carotene in butter, so the darker the color, the more K2 it contains (also, the better it tastes). Fish eggs, other grass-fed dairy, shellfish, insects and other organ meats are also good sources. Chris Masterjohn compiled a list of food sources in his excellent article
    on the Weston Price foundation website. I highly recommend reading it if you want more detail. K2 MK-7 is found abundantly in natto, a type of fermented soybean, and seems to have some of the same effects as MK-4 on bone health in clinical trials. However, it is not the from of K2 that mammals synthesize for themselves so I'm not convinced it's the real thing.

Source: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...none-mk-4.html

Afterthoughts: I'm told natto smells lke ammonia and has the texture of raw phlegm.
    I do eat [organic raw] butter from cows on summer grass. I stock up in the summer months and freeze it.
    Still, I'm going to order some K2. Couldn't hurt.

Interesting. The rate of heart attack and other cardiovascular problems rose AFTER the low-fat craze started in the US.
    This could be one of the factors, along with processed carbs and inflammatory veg oils add in a vit K2 deficiency and wham! Big bypass bucks for Big Pharma!

And unfortunately I can't eat most of the foods in that list. I hope I am getting sufficient from the free range organic eggs I am eating. A lot of what I am reading suggests I should increase my egg consumption.

Veteran Member

Hooray for NZ butter "it's the green, green grass that grows all year round".

Thread Information