Thread: Is Your Cinnamon Real?

Default Is Your Cinnamon Real?

Kristen Michaelis
    07-12-14

Ah, cinnamon! I sprinkle it into my morning coffee, whip it into delicious homemade ice cream, and even stir it into savory Indian dishes at dinner time.
    A lot of folks have made a hubbub about whether or not your cinnamon is real. Their claim is that Ceylon cinnamon is the only true cinnamon, and that Cassia (or Saigon) cinnamon is fake.
    They are missing the point. The truth is, both belong the same family of plants (and even the same genus — cinnamomum). And both are similar although the taste is somewhat different.
    That said, I do believe there’s such a thing as “fake” cinnamon, and it can impact not only your measure of culinary delight, but also your health.

Read more: http://www.foodrenegade.com/your-cin...eid=12eb3a95f9
    Last edited by Islander; 07-13-14 at 10:16 AM.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

Default Re: Is Your Cinnamon Real?

There were some confused ideas about cinnamon a few months ago on the site. Maybe this article can clear up some questions we had.
    At least one question I had was answered. Cassia and Saigon are the same thing. I think, despite the article claims, I would still prefer the Ceylon variety. And I must have one of those nice graters!
    ~ Mark Twain~

Hello "wr", I recall that thread discussion just off the top of my head. The issue, as I recall, was the toxic and cumulative coumarin content in the Cassia cinnamon, whereas the coumarin in the Ceylon cinnamon was negligible. "Mr Wizard" got me interested in that and I ordered a jar of the Indus Ceylon cinnamon. I even went so far as to mention that toxicity issue to my local Silver City Food Coop, as I had found out that they were getting their cinnamon from Frontier, an otherwise reputable organic company, but one which was/is supplying the SCFC and other customers with Cassia cinnamon.

PS: I just did an HH archival search for that cinnamon thread; http://www.hawkeshealth.net/communit...light=coumarin

Also, thanks to "Mr Wizard": http://www.indusorganics.com/camparison.html
    Last edited by grulla; 07-14-14 at 11:55 AM.

Your memory serves you well grulla. I didn't recall the coumarin issue for some reason. I think I was focusing on the problem with the photos, in regards to which photo was what cinnamon.
    ~ Mark Twain~

I store most of my spices in the refrigerator. It gets a bit crowded sometimes, but I think they keep better. BTW, I bought cassia some time go, without knowing the difference between the two, and really didn't like the taste.

Thank you for this article wr 7476 — I don't use cinnamon that much but that grater is beautiful! If someone is using large doses for treating a condition like diabetes I think this article and the link you posted for a source is very useful.

Great article. I'm a strong advocate of ceylon cinnamon. Grulla is correct...I use it regularly and avoid cassia because of the coumarin. But, all cinnamon is beneficial in that it is anti-bacterial and anti-microbial. I just recently started using it in my cole slaw. Yum yum.

Veteran Member

I was under the impression also that the Ceylon cinnamon was more helpful than the other type in regulating blood sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattypans View Post
    I was under the impression also that the Ceylon cinnamon was more helpful than the other type in regulating blood sugar.
    I don't have links but actually the studies on blood sugar have used Cassia cinnamon although Ceylon has the same compound believed responsible for the action.

Veteran Member

Well, that's good news, since I haven't found Ceylon cinnamon here. Thanks, Mellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattypans View Post
    Well, that's good news, since I haven't found Ceylon cinnamon here. Thanks, Mellow.
    Ceylon cinnamon is a better choice than cassia if you're using it to help regulate blood sugar levels. Cassia has far more coumarin than ceylon, and studies show coumarin may damage not only the liver but the kidneys too. Most people require 2 to 3 teaspoons per day to control blood sugar. If you're using this much cinnamon, it's a safe bet that you're probably consuming more coumarin than you want to. Above, "Grulla" included a link to "indus organics" where I purchase my ceylon cinnamon. It's a little pricey, but at least you don't have to worry about getting too much coumarin.
    -

Thread Information