Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet vaccine question

Default Pet vaccine question

Given that many of us think childhood vaccinations are excessive, I'd like to solicit your opinion on cat vaccines. Here you see what the recommendations are: http://www.holisticvetcenter.com/vaccines-cat.htm

My inclination is to do as little as possible, meaning I would go with the first two, period. My new kitten is just exactly 3 months old today and has never seen the vet, mostly because it just slipped my mind and I didn't feel any urgency. Are all of you in agreement that cats should have a basic series of shots, and if so, which ones?

My cats have always been outdoor cats. I live in the country and value their skills as mousers, since I have livestock and there is always grain around, not to mention the field mice that find a way indoors in winter. Right now my five-year-old cat, Rachael, has been teaching Mimi the kitten what to do with mice. She's been bringing in at least one mouse a day; in the beginning Mimi would just go apeshit playing with them, but now she has learned to eat them as well. I have wanted to keep her indoors as long as possible, but another skill Rachael recently taught her was how to exit the screen door, so she has discovered the deck and the area under the shrubbery around it. Eventually she will become a hunter as well, and I want to make sure she's protected from any potential feline disease.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Pet vaccine question

I got the rabies just because it was the law and I had to have the kittehs get that before being fixed. But they are indoor cats.......
    You can check the laws in Maine.

I can't offer suggestions about cats Islander as the only cat we have, we got when she was 18 months old and already vaccinated. We have not and do not intend to do any more.
    We recently got a young puppy and were intending to do only Parvo and Distemper. The holistic vet we saw suggested only doing Parvo as he had not seen a single case of Distemper in 17 years but Parvo is prevalent in the area we live. We only did 2 Parvo shots at 3 months and 4 months.

And I had a cat die of vaccine induced cancer at the age of 2. Phantom only had the rabies shot.

We had a dog with very bad skin allergies induced by vaccination hence our wish to do the minimum. In the end this dog had reached a stage that she had no hair on her back and sides and was virtually permanently wearing a dog coat. We did get her good quality Driza-bone dogs coats which would keep her warm but could also withstand the allergy induced excessive scratching.
    http://www.bestofdownunder.com/driza-bone-dog-coat/

I don't know much about cats but on pet vaccinations in general, I'm against. Distemper usually occurs at less than 6 months old. I have had dogs get distemper even though vaccinated but, if she is outdoor and exposed to other cats, probably would do this and rabies. Rabies vaccination has been proven to last at least 7 years. In less than a year, I lost 3 dogs to cancer. One to lymphoma, 2 to liver cancer. (2 were my daughter's dogs). I was told the lymphoma, especially where it occurred was definitely a result of vaccinations. I get rabies shots for my dogs because I do live in the South, it is the law, and I rent. Most places I've rented from have made me show proof of rabies. Other than that, no vaccines.

Islander, I only get one shot, an annual rabies vaccine (Purevax annual) for my cat Pepper. He is an indoor cat but I make occasional trips to Canada with him and may need to show he has been vaccinated at the border. My previous cat, Angie, got feline vaccine sarcoma, and died of cancer. This was 15 years ago and my understanding at the time was that there was something in the vaccine that caused the cancer. At the time they were giving all shots (in CA) in the neck/shoulder area. But they changed to leukemia in the left rear leg and rabies in the right leg to help discover which vaccine was contaminated.

Otis, I wonder whether those test results are available somewhere.

Islander, which test results are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by otis1010 View Post
    Islander, which test results are you referring to?
    Leukemia vs. rabies.

islander you may find some answers at Tufts University Vet School. I corresponded with them many years ago when my cat, Angie, was hit by a car and had nerve damage at the base of her tail among other things. She could not p or poo so for 8 years I manually squeezed her bladder every 8 hours. The poo came out when she slept and was always dry and hard. Then she got feline vaccine sarcoma. Very sad. But Tufts gave me pointers and information about the possibility of correcting the nerve damage. I'm sure I talked to them about the problem with the carrier in the vaccines but don't recall their response. http://vetsites.tufts.edu/avm/

Islander, I did some searching in my old files and found that it wasn't Tuft's University I corresponded with but Dr. James Richards DVM of the Cornell Feline Health Center at the Cornell U. College of V. Medicine. This was in 1995 and the subject I found was about the nerve damage suffered by Angie. I don't recall which vet told me about the problem trying to find out which vaccine had the cancer. Found more information and will be back and post after more research.

Islander, here is the latest research that I could find for feline vaccine sarcoma. I think you will find answers here or get directed to a place that will have the answers. This site was the result of a combined task force from the 90s to find the source of the feline sarcomas. Let us know what you find. I could do more research at the site tonight but time for bed.

https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/s031502f.aspx

"...most of the adjuvant products induce cell mutations in test tube studies. "We are now looking at ways in which vaccines might be able to cause DNA damage and mutation," Dr. McNiel said. "We have some evidence that it is due to the production of oxygen radicals in cells and that vaccines induce the production of oxygen radicals."

Wow. Thanks for finding this, Otis!

What did you decide, Islander?

My youngest cat (now two years old) has never had any vaccinations and she is the healthiest, happiest cat I've ever had (which is many).
    That's not a recommendation, it's just an observation. I've reached a point where I don't trust anything anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information