Thread: Should You Refrigerate Your Eggs? Here's The Final Answer

Default Should You Refrigerate Your Eggs? Here's The Final Answer

Kristina Bravo
    July 16 2014

We asked the USDA and the country’s largest producer of the kitchen staple. This is what they said.

Walk into a British supermarket, and you may be surprised, even horrified, by what you’ll see: cartons of eggs sitting next to canned meats and baked beans—at room temperature. Europeans don’t refrigerate their eggs, but Americans need to. Why? In a word: salmonella.
    Because of the way the nation’s factory farms produce and distribute eggs, American consumers must take additional measures to prevent contamination from salmonella—that sneaky little pathogen that causes 1.2 million illnesses in the U.S. each year.
    When it comes to minimizing salmonella infections, American producers focus on the eggshells, which could get sullied with organic matter, such as chicken feces. The USDA requires producers to rinse, dry, and mist the eggs with chlorine before sending them to market.

Read more: http://www.takepart.com/article/2014...-07-19-victims
    Last edited by Julieanne; 07-22-14 at 08:04 PM.

Default Re: Should You Refrigerate Your Eggs? Here's The Final Answer

Local producers of organic free range eggs here neither refrigerate nor wash their eggs. I only wash them just prior to using them. Never a problem.
    Last edited by Islander; 07-24-14 at 10:15 AM.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Local producers of organic free range eggs here need to refrigerate nor wash their eggs. I only wash them just prior to using them. Never a problem.
    Does this need editing Islander? It doesn't make sense to me.

Not necessarily, provided that the eggs were purchased as locally produced, and/or free range, from a reputable farmer, and they had not been washed. However once refrigerated, there is no turning back, especially if they are from store bought CAFO production. Here is a 12/7/2013 Mercola article on this subject; http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...cken-eggs.aspx in the subtitle; "The Other Reason Why the EU Recommends Constant Room Temperature"; European egg marketing regulations state that storing eggs in cold storage and then leaving them out at room temperature could lead to condensation, which could promote the growth of bacteria on the shell that could probably get into the egg as well. As io9 reported, the EU therefore advises storing eggs at a constant non-refrigerated temperature:3

My late wife and I raised egg producing Araucana (Easter egg) chickens back in the 90s and never washed the eggs. If the egg needed cleaning, we would use an abrasive like steel wool, and if there was any doubt as to an exposed area on the egg shell having lost it's moisture protective integrity, then we would rub a little olive oil on it and only use it for our own consumption. The rest were sold locally. One independent meat market we sold to, left the eggs out on the display counter which, at the time, concerned us, especially in this very warm NM climate.
    Last edited by grulla; 07-24-14 at 07:27 AM. Reason: grammar & typos

That is very useful information grulla — thank you!

Good catch, Aaltrude. I repaired the typo so the post now makes sense. Thank you for alerting me to that nonsensical wording!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Local producers of organic free range eggs here neither refrigerate nor wash their eggs. I only wash them just prior to using them. Never a problem.
    Same here, except for the following: We get our organic eggs twice monthly. (We save a LOT of money that way, as we buy them at the coop.) I do not refrigerate the ones I'm going to cook. (That helps keep them from sticking to the pan, too.) I eat a lot of raw eggs, though, and I'll refrigerate several dozen at a time, replacing them with new ones as I use them. I too only wash them right before using them.

Thread Information