Thread: Gluten Challenge: Is it Malpractice?

Default Gluten Challenge: Is it Malpractice?

By DHead
    July 24, 2014

The gluten challenge has picked me up and slammed me to the ground. I feel awful. The worst I’ve felt in a very, very long time. Aside from the constant stomach cramps, two main things I am noticing is how bad my joints hurt and how crazy in the head I feel. I can barely get out of bed because my right hip area is so inflamed. And I can tell that I am mentally “off”. That infamous brain fog is very much present. So much so that its a struggle to sit at my computer and be productive. While going through this, I constantly ask myself how the ONLY definitive way to test for celiac disease (gluten challenge) is to fill your body with gluten, the protein, ingredient – or whatever you want to call it – that’s poisonous to those with celiac disease. By doing this gluten challenge and eating gluten, a potential celiac could be terribly damaging their insides and be blind to the fact that they are essentially killing themselves.

Read more: http://glutenfreethin.com/gluten-challenge-malpractice/

Default Re: Gluten Challenge: Is it Malpractice?

Yikes! I would not do it! If you feel better off of gluten and worse when you eat it bottom line it is wrong for you. Couldn't they do genetic and stool testing?

When I read this article on FB, my first thought was - why would a person need to have a physician's permission to eat a diet that does not include gluten? The only purpose that I could see for this sort of test would be to satisfy a medical professional's curiosity about whether discontinuing eating gluten can be recommended or not. So what? If a person already feels better without it, whose blessing is required to allow the person just to continue to eat correctly for their own body?

Am I missing the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    Am I missing the point?
    I don't think so Maurya. We have become so distrustful of our feelings we doubt our own bodies. This is not helped by doctors who treat anything that has not been trialled and tested as 'anecdotal evidence', ie, not to be entirely believed. So we have learned to pay more attention to what the doctor says than what we feel.

Along the same lines, when I have reported improvement from a natural product, I have been told more than once 'it's probably a placebo effect'. In other words, if it's not made by a pharmaceutical company it can't possibly work.

It's time we started trusting ourselves .
    Last edited by Julieanne; 07-26-14 at 07:33 PM.

I think Julieanne is right. I posted an article by Mark Sisson where he goes through the arguments against a gluten free diet because good people are having conventional medical professionals tell them they are going to die on a grain-free, gluten-free diet and need someone to debunk the myths of "healthy whole grains".

I had exactly the same reaction Maurya

This whole approach seems to be part of an alarming and scary larger issue in our world today. We (some of us) seem to have internalized a belief system whereby our corporate lords and masters, along with their high priesthood of medical minions, must bless our attempts to live a private individual life, or else our individual attempts to be a decent person are seen as just "no good".

Wasn't there a book by George Orwell where everything that is not forbidden must be mandatory?

Sometimes I really wish we had a LIKE button! Great comments on this page!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

After finding out I had celiac, I thought the advice to allow my son to eat gluten until he was able to be diagnosed with the disease to be completely insane. For one, it takes children a period of time to develop measurable damage that can indicate a positive diagnosis. Where is the logic in waiting until someone gets a disease to then take corrective measures that won't cure, but merely manage the disease? Would we apply this same logic to cancer???
    Agreed with Islander. All the comments to this are spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by bmc65 View Post
    . Where is the logic in waiting until someone gets a disease to then take corrective measures that won't cure?
    BMC, that's doctor's logic unfortunately. Not to go too far off topic, but when I had pain in my fingers some years ago, the doc diagnosed arthritis. He said it was not bad enough for drug treatment at that time, to wait till it got worse and he would prescribe something. No mention of what I might do to stop that happening! It's a weird system of medicine we have.

Thread Information