Thread: 19 Gluten Cross-Reactive Foods: Busted Myth?

Default 19 Gluten Cross-Reactive Foods: Busted Myth?

Christina Graves
    09 May 2014

Abstract:
    1. Numerous online blog articles report ”19 Gluten Cross-Reactive foods.“
    2. Close inspection reveals questionable conclusions and significant overstatement and extrapolation from the original sources of information.
    3. Alternate conclusions presented within this blog article would call into question existence of many blog-reported gluten cross-reactive foods.
    4. Lessons about rigorous research and reporting of scientific data can be learned.

Introduction:

I have been reading the same article for more than two years now. Basically, it reads like the “Breaking News Alert” pictured to the left. Indeed, the same article (or only slightly altered versions of it) have been repeatedly featured on health diet and Paleo blogs alike:

• The Paleo Mom:“Gluten Cross-Reactivity: How your body can still think you’re eating gluten even after giving it up.” Updated article found here.

• The Primal Docs: “19 Foods That Cross-React With Gluten”

• Mind Body Green: “Are You Not Healing Because Your Body Thinks Coffee, Chocolate & Cheese Are Gluten?”

• Dr. Perlmutter, author of Grain Brain: “Gluten Associated Cross Reactive Foods”

The basic gist of these above articles is that there are approximately 19 foods that “cross-react” with gluten—that these other foods can mimic gluten. This leads to your body reacting to these “cross-reactive foods” as if they were gluten, making these foods problematic for anyone who has a sensitivity to gluten (either Celiac disease or non-Celiac gluten sensitivity). That is, if you are making antibodies to gluten, those same antibodies recognize other food proteins.

However, just because it’s regurgitated doesn’t make it true.

Keep reading: http://paleomovement.com/19-gluten-c...eactive-foods/
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: 19 Gluten Cross-Reactive Foods: Busted Myth?

This article is long and fairly technical, and I have to admit that much of it went right over my head. I'm not familiar with some of the terminology; evidently it's directed more at the health professional than even the ordinary well-educated reader. I do think I got the gist of it when I got to the conclusion, but translations/interpretations/ elaborations are most welcome!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Good article.

There are foods that are known to be an issue for many who are gluten intolerant but this doesn't necessarily mean it is cross reacting. Soy, corn and dairy are probably the three leading foods that may cause you a problem if you are gluten intolerant. It has been shown that the cross reaction of coffee applies to instant coffee and not real coffee made from freshly ground beans. In the case of instant coffee, contamination with gluten is the probable cause. This has been acknowledged by Cyrex labs which obviously was not picked up by the author of this article.
    Of the foods on this list I know I cannot eat the following: corn, dairy, oats, rice, soy and yeast.
    I have problems with instant coffee but not real coffee.
    I can eat: chocolate and egg.
    The rest I am not sure about either because I haven't eaten them for a while or have never tried them.

Everyone is individual and needs to work out for themselves what they can and cannot eat.

Thread Information