Thread: Youth Fitness on Steady Decline

Default Youth Fitness on Steady Decline

Hiyaguha Cohen
    07/26/2014

It's almost a cliché that as parents watch their toddlers run around, they sigh to their friends, "I wish I had that kind of energy." The irony is that in another seven years, those same parents may well complain that their formerly energetic kids now won't get off the couch.

A new study by the Centers for Disease Control has found that physical activity among children peaks as early as age two and then begins a steady decline.1 By the time they reach the age of 12, the majority of kids already are in poor cardiorespiratory shape from lack of physical activity. According to the study, fewer than 33% of girls between the ages of 12 and 15 are at an acceptable level of physical fitness. The situation for boys is slightly better, though still pathetic, with only 50% as fit as they should be. These numbers hold no matter the income level, race, or ethnic background of the youth.

Read more: http://jonbarron.org/childrens-healt...teady-decline#
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Default Re: Youth Fitness on Steady Decline

Phys Ed has been removed from the public school system? Not in my area. I have a middle school just a few blocks away. It has a track. I often see kids running that track when I drive by during school hours. I've seen kids playing baseball and football or riding their bikes, and I've seen groups of them jogging through the neighborhoods in their gym shorts. These kids are trim and fit, although I would agree that the percentage of youthful couch potatoes has grown over the years, thanks to computer games, TV, and various other electronic devices.

I think physical activity levels in kids have always been highly individualized. I was never particularly active as a child. I hated participating in organized sports, but I did walk way more than most kids do now days. Walking isn't considered to be sufficient exercise these days, but it's really all most people need in order to stay fit.

Default Re: Youth Fitness on Steady Decline

Here's the problem:
    "Fewer than five percent of US adults get 30 minutes or more of exercise daily."

People do what they want to do and what they have to do, and kids generally emulate the lifestyles of their parents. I'm an athletic person but I detested PE in school for two reasons. One was that they often insisted we participate in something I didn't like such as square dancing, track, or the dreaded dogdeball. Secondly, when I did like what we were doing (such as volleyball) my classmates were pathetic. Most of the time they couldn't even hit the ball back over the net. Such a drag. PE does nothing to make kids love being physically active.

Thread Information