Thread: Food additives on the rise as FDA scrutiny wanes

Default Food additives on the rise as FDA scrutiny wanes

Kimberly Kindy
    August 17, 2014

Thousands of consumers say a protein-rich fungus in Quorn products has caused them to experience allergic reactions and severe bouts of vomiting and diarrhea. The manufacturer says allergic reactions are rare and that their vegetarian product line is safe and healthy.

The explosion of new food additives coupled with an easing of oversight requirements is allowing manufacturers to avoid the scrutiny of the Food and Drug Administration, which is responsible for ensuring the safety of chemicals streaming into the food supply.

And in hundreds of cases, the FDA doesn’t even know of the existence of new additives, which can include chemical preservatives, flavorings and thickening agents, records and interviews show.

“We simply do not have the information to vouch for the safety of many of these chemicals,” said Michael Taylor, the FDA’s deputy commissioner for food.

The FDA has received thousands of consumer complaints about additives in recent years, saying certain substances seem to trigger asthmatic attacks, serious bouts of vomiting, intestinal-tract disorders and other health problems.

Keep reading: http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...fd1_story.html
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Food additives on the rise as FDA scrutiny wanes

FDA DISINTEREST AND INEPTITUDE: YET MORE REASONS TO BE VERY SKEPTICAL OF CONVENTIONAL PROCESSED FOODS. One would be living in a fool's paradise to imagine that the government is looking out for your family's interests when it comes to processed food and food additives. This exposé from the Washington Post will be an eye-opener into the failing process of government oversight of the Industrial Food industry. "In the five decades since Congress gave the FDA responsibility for ensuring the safety of additives in the food supply, the number has spiked from 800 to more than 9,000, ranging from common substances such as salt to new green-tea extracts. This increase has been driven largely by demand from busy Americans, who get more than half their daily meals from processed foods, according to government and industry records.... the FDA proposed new rules. The agency told companies that were going the GRAS route — which turned a years-long process into one of months — that they no longer would have to submit their research and raw data. The companies can share just a summary of their findings with the agency...The changes didn’t work out as planned. For starters, most additives continued to debut without the FDA being notified...'I’ve given up on the FDA protecting the public; they are protecting businesses,' said Grovit, who also has Crohn’s disease. 'The only reason for its presence in so many food products today is that it’s cheap and it makes food processing easy.'"
    - Jim Gerritsen

The ' protein-rich fungus in Quorn ' is not an additive, it's what it is made from, so that's a bit confusing. I ate Quorn twice, and both times I had a stomach ache afterwards. It didn't make me sick, I just felt very uncomfortable.

I need to check on how we handle food additives here in Australia. The equivalent of the FDA is the TGA (Therapeutic Goods Administration) and probably not all that different.

I have two vegetarian friends who consume a fair amount of Quorn and scoffed at my concerns. Clearly many people do not react to it.

Veteran Member

I guess you learn something new every day. I'd never heard of Quorn and I'm sure I've never eaten it. I'm not a vegetarian and therefore bypass any processed meat substitutes.

See, LMW? You come to Hawkes' Health to broaden your horizons!

I would love to see FDA's end-of-year "results statement." What would they claim as accomplishments? It appears the "processed" food supply is largely unprotected these days. In the past 5 years, we've seen an exponential increase in not only food additives, but GMOs and "nano" particles. Oh yes, the dreaded nanoparticles that are suppose to make white things whiter and creamier things...well, creamier. The FDA, admittedly, is doing nothing to protect our food supply from nanoparticles, while Europe is at least requiring manufacturers to list them as an ingredient on labels.

Thread Information