Thread: 13 Uses For Lavender Oil: The Only Essential Oil You'll Need

Default 13 Uses For Lavender Oil: The Only Essential Oil You'll Need

Ashley Turner
    February 21, 2013

Lavender (lavandula angustifolia) is the most versatile of all essential oils. Most commonly known for its relaxing effects on the body, therapeutic-grade lavender has been highly regarded for the skin. It may be used to cleanse cuts, bruises and skin irritations. The fragrance is calming, relaxing and balancing – physically and emotionally. Carrying a bottle of lavender around with you is like having your own personal first aid kit, perfume and pick-me-up.

Here are 13 ways you can incorporate lavender in to your daily life:

1. Calming

Rub 2-3 drops of lavender oil in your cupped palms, then use the inhalation method to draw the scent all the way into your amygdala gland (the emotional warehouse) in your brain to calm the mind. Then, rub on the feet, temples, wrists (or anywhere) for an immediate calming effect on the body.

To read the rest of the article go to:
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7769/...oull-need.html

Default Re: 13 Uses For Lavender Oil: The Only Essential Oil You'll Need

Glad to see this article on Lavender oil. #1 mentions its calming effect, which reminded me that a family member's therapist told her to use lavender oil to help with her depression and anxiety disorder.

Veteran Member

I'm now retired, but I still struggle with bouts of insomnia after working shifts for many years. I usually take a low dose of melatonin (1.5 mg), but I probably rely on it too often. Possibly no harm, but who knows? I am hoping to be able to switch to the lavender EO for those nights when sleep is elusive.
    Last edited by Lovemywesties; 09-05-14 at 10:34 AM.

Veteran Member

In doing some more digging... Here's an additional article that provides a handy dilution chart for essential oils:

http://everythingessential.me/Hints/CarrierOils.html

Great find, LMW. I printed it out.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Thanks so much for that link, LMW! Looks extremely helpful. I've bookmarked it.

Great dilution chart, LMW. Thanks.

Veteran Member

Here is a link for Herbaria Soaps. I've used them for the past several years and really like them. I just ordered three bars: the Frankincense and Myrrh, the Patchouli-Hemp Seed Oil, and the French Lavender. They do use real essential oils in their premium soaps. All of the soaps are a bit pricey, but they are large bars and do last a long time if not left sitting in water. They make great holiday gifts.

The only product I didn't like was their shampoo bar. It left my hair feeling sort of stripped and very hard to comb out. I complained about it, and wow, they couldn't do enough for me. Sent a bunch of freebies. I have no connection whatsoever to the company; I just like their soap and wanted to share the info.

http://www.herbariasoap.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lovemywesties View Post
    Here is a link for Herbaria Soaps. I have no connection whatsoever to the company; I just like their soap and wanted to share the info.
    I have no connection to the Herbaria soap company either, but would like to put in a plug for their soaps with essential oils. I love them all and have used most of them. However, the "vanilla" soap is my favorite now. Since I'm shamelessly plugging their soaps, I want to mention that their "Sensitive Skin, Fragrance Free" soap is the only soap my granddaughter, who has eczema, can use on her skin. The name of this soap recenlty changed to "LaRee's Fragrance Free" soap in honor of the owner's wife, LaRee. The essential oils in these soaps are unlike any I've used before!!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lovemywesties View Post

...their shampoo bar. It left my hair feeling sort of stripped and very hard to comb out.
    http://www.herbariasoap.com/
    LMW, when you washed your hair with it, did you rinse afterwards with diluted vinegar, then rinse that out? That can do wonders for making hair easy to comb out, even when you've washed with soap as opposed to shampoo. The way I do it: First wash hair, rinse, pour on diluted vinegar water, let it sit while I wash the rest of me (it needs that bit of time to work its magic), then, last of all, rinse it out of my hair.

I use about 20 short squirts of cheap white vinegar to 1 and a half liters (more or less 1 and a half quarts) water. I keep the vinegar in a plastic bottle in the shower, and an empty plastic bottle for the water it'll go in. I'm just saying, if you'd like to try again, this might help. It's the only rinse I use. The smell disappears as soon as my hair dries.

Veteran Member

Pattypans, no, I did not use diluted vinegar. I did use a little conditioner of some sort, don't remember what it was. I was still left with a snarly mess to untangle. Thanks for the recommendation. I plan to try it.

Veteran Member

Mr. Wizard, I'm glad I'm not the only one shamelessly plugging Herbaria soaps. I like it that they list the ingredients in every type of soap so I know I'm not getting something that might be a problem for me. Like your granddaughter, I have sensitive skin and have to be careful what I use on it. I usually try different soaps every time I order some since there are many to choose from. As I mentioned, 2 or 3 bars tied together with a ribbon makes a nice but inexpensive holiday or "whenever" gift. I don't mean to sound like a soap junky, but I really like their stuff.

Thread Information