Thread: Turmeric (Curcumin) Shown to Possess a Powerful Anti-Aging Effect

Default Turmeric (Curcumin) Shown to Possess a Powerful Anti-Aging Effect

Michael Murray, ND
    July 11, 201

The latest, and most likely, program theory of aging is the telomere shortening theory. Telomeres are the end-cap segments of DNA (our genetic material). Each time a cell replicates, a small piece of DNA is taken off the end of each chromosome. The shorter the telomere gets, the more it affects gene expression. The result is cellular aging and an increased risk for immune dysfunction, heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer's disease, and other degenerative diseases.

New research shows that curcumin, the yellow pigment of turmeric (Curcuma longa), may exert significant benefit in preventing telomere shortening and may actually promote elongation of telomeres.

Background Information:
    The key to slowing down the aging process and extending maximal human lifespan will ultimately involve preserving or restoring telomere length to the DNA (as well as decreasing chromosomal damage, cellular oxidation, and many other factors).

To read the rest of the article go to:
    http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/tur...i-aging-effect

Default Re: Turmeric (Curcumin) Shown to Possess a Powerful Anti-Aging Effect

I looked at Theracumin some time ago, but the cost was prohibitive. I was more interested in the effects on inflammation than the anti-aging aspect.

According to GreenMedInfo, in addition to the anti-aging effect, curcumin is anti-diabetic, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, anti-malarial, and anti-alzheimer's.

Since I'm not wild about the taste of it, and since it tends to overwhelm other flavors, the only use I can find for other than in curries is in scrambled eggs. When I do use it, I use a rounded teaspoon at a time and sauté it in butter before incorporating other ingredients. I keep reading about the benefits and would welcome suggestions as to how else to consume it healthfully!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

If you make your own mustard, which is incredibly easy (especially compared to most of the stuff you do, Islander), you can incorporate it with the mustard powder or ground mustard seed and vinegar (or whatever you use as a liquid.) In fact, I think turmeric is an ingredient in some commercially prepared mustards.

And there's the make-your-own capsules option, too.

Tried making mustard years ago, before the Internet, and was disappointed with the results. Guess it's time to try again. My hands and fingers have become too arthritic and clumsy to try filling capsules, alas.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I keep reading about the benefits and would welcome suggestions as to how else to consume it healthfully!
    Islander, I agree the purported benefits of this powerful spice demand we find ways to incorporate it into our diets. I'm not wild about the taste either, but find that I can tame the taste somewhat by including other stronger spices. So, I use turmeric along with garlic, oregano, black pepper, and ginger. These are the primary seasonings I use when I bake salmon, chicken, turkey, etc. A rounded teaspoon of turmeric for scrambled eggs may be a bit too much. I use about a quarter teaspoon, along with garlic, ginger, and pepper, when I cook eggs. Now, I'm hungry.

"The dose makes the poison," and somewhere I read that the teaspoonful was the effective dosage. Guess I need to check that out.

Same here, turmeric on my 3 egg veggie skillet each and every morning, and I grind black peppercorn in with it, as I recall previous mention of that absorbing the turmeric into your digestive system a lot better. I couldn't think where else to use turmeric either, but I'll keep giving that some thought. Wonder if it might go well in some type of drink or soup (with the black pepper)???

Yes, I took for granted that everyone knows you need black pepper to facilitate absorption of the turmeric. And I'm going to pursue the mustard angle; although I don't use a lot of mustard, every little bit helps!

"The dose makes the poison," and somewhere I read that the teaspoonful was the effective dosage. Guess I need to check that out.
    The exact dosage is difficult to pin down because it really is more about how much you absorb. Some people can consume a half teaspoon and their body will absorb most of it, while others may need to consume a full teaspoon in order to absorb a half teaspoon. ****Piperine in black pepper has been mentioned to enhance absorption. In addition, "fats" are also very important for absorption. So, taking turmeric/curcumin with olive oil, coconut oil, egg yolks, etc. will increase absorption. Sometimes, I mix organic turmeric root powder, black pepper and olive oil together and drizzle it over a garden salad, collards, kale, broccoli, etc. Yummy!!

Veteran Member

And I'm going to pursue the mustard angle; although I don't use a lot of mustard, every little bit helps!
    When you made mustard before and didn't like it, what did you use for the liquid?

Pattypans, this was so long ago that I haven't a clue. Could be 15 years, could be 20. All I remember is that it was far too thick and not very tasty.

Veteran Member

Oh, and it also goes well in salad dressing (at least a French-ish type I make.) The more mustard in the dressing, the more turmeric it can take without being overwhelming.

Thread Information