Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Surprising Way To Defeat Diabetes

Default The Surprising Way To Defeat Diabetes

Dr. Frank Shallenberger
    September 5, 2014

Want to avoid diabetes? Then eat more fat and fiber and less carbohydrates. Have metabolic syndrome? Then eat more fat and fiber and less carbohydrates. Did your doctor tell you that you have a fatty liver? Then eat more fat and fiber and less carbohydrates. Do all these statements sound more than a little crazy to you? Well if they do, read on.

Scientists recently examined a fat in your blood stream called palmitoleic acid, also called palmitoleate. Previous studies in mice have shown that palmitoleic acid prevents insulin resistance and fatty liver disease. Both of these disorders are extremely prevalent these days. Insulin resistance is what's behind the diabetes epidemic. Fatty liver is the second leading cause of liver transplants in the U.S. The researchers wanted to see if palmitoleic acid might have the same effect in humans that it does in mice.

To read the rest of the article go to:
    http://www.secondopinionnewsletter.c...t-diabetes.htm

Default Re: The Surprising Way To Defeat Diabetes

I wish he had given us some numbers, because "low carbohydrate" means different things to different people. Diabetes counselors will set you up with a diet containing 60 grams of carbs/day. That's not low. You get "permission" to have the occasional toast, roll, bagel, slice of cake etc. because of course you are also on at least one drug, Metformin, if not more. It's possible to control diabetes without meds if you include exercise and limit carbs to colorful low-starch veggies and a minimum of fruit.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

It frequently makes me crazy when people who should know better lump all carbohydrates together when what they're really telling us is to avoid grain products, sweets, and some of the starchier veggies. Fruit in moderate amounts and plenty of veggies contain all the fiber anyone really needs. Healthy fats can be derived in a number of ways.

My SO was recently diagnosed as being pre-diabetic. It really got his attention, whereas my nagging never did. He's been pretty diligent about limiting sweets and grains and has been chowing down on the veggies instead, which he used to eat in token amounts. He has lost about 30 pounds in the past two months (partly from being sick with some gastro bug), so I guess my harping didn't totally go in one ear and out the other. The real test is whether he got scared enough to be able to stick with the new regimen since he's been a heavy lifelong eater of grain products. I have my fingers crossed as it's far better to never go past the "pre" stage of diabetes.

Palmitoleic acid (also commonly referred to as Omega-7) is effective against diabetes because it inhibits the destruction of pancreatic beta cells, which produce insulin. Palmitoleic acid is also found in avocado, lard, and gouda and cheddar cheeses. See the list of other foods containing palmitoleic acid here: http://slism.com/diet/omega7-fatty-acids.html
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 09-06-14 at 04:27 PM.

The best way to find your own personal carbohydrate tolerance is to get a glucose meter and test. It can vary — I had a relapse with some kind of gastro-intestinal bug last year and suddenly had new food intolerances and started to gain weight. My fasting blood sugars were in the 90-95 mg/dL which were high for me and especially eating Paleo. I had been able to tolerate 3-4 fruits plus starchy veggies like sweet potatoes and have fasting blood sugars of 75-80 mg/dL before that for years. Then Bam! Sudden change!

I had to experiment and see what my personal carbohydrate trigger foods were.
    The sweet potatoes really didn't mess my blood sugar up surprisingly. It was fruit — dropping down to 1 fruit a day for a while helped. I can now eat 2 fruits a day and my blood sugars will be 77-80 mg/dL fasting.

People are so very different — I do think removing sugar, grains, white potatoes and eating starchy veggies and a couple of fruits for carbohydrate sources are the place to start. Then see if you are at the weight you want to be at and what your blood sugar levels are and then adjust to find your own personal carbohydrate tolerance level and food sources.

Chris Kresser had a great article on how to use a glucose meter (you don't need a prescription):

http://www.hawkeshealth.net/communit...sser#post67791

I also hope your son has good results with his new diet LMW.

I think she's talking about her spouse, Reesacat.

Ressacat, Elena and I found a food allergy test through Life Extension. She took the test, and got the results yesterday. The test covers about a hundred foods, and categorizes them into low, moderate, and avoid. With Elena being full Swedish, I made an interesting observation. I have read articles in the past that speak of the importance of eating for your ethnicity. I thought it was interesting reading, so I kept it on the back burner of my brain. The test results revealed that practically all the foods that were ok, were foods that Swedes have eaten for however long going back. The avoid foods were the ones that don't normally make it in Swedish agriculture or import. We will now modify our diet to conform to her non allergenic foods and observe where that leads. If there is anything to this, we expect to see an improvement in IBS and inflammation reduction. Me, I'm kind of an alley mutt. A mix of everything. I nevertheless plan on taking the test myself out of curiosity.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

WR, what does it cost?

Thank you Islander and my apologies LMW — I should not post late at night because my dyslexia is much worse. I meant to say I hope your significant other continues to have good results with the diet changes.

Veteran Member

Reesacat, don't give it a second thought. Probably my fault. I should have spelled it out or just said "spouse" to avoid confusion.

The cost of the food allergy test was $198.00. It evaluated 95 foods. Elena did this by joining Life Extension through Facebook in a free 6 month trial offer that gives her discounts on various food and blood tests, in addition to discounted supplements. Just a couple of days of avoiding the allergenic food that resulted from the test, is thus far, proving to be effective. Her energy, vitality, and overall mood seemed to improve in just a few days. I am very surprised to see such rapid results. It is obviously too soon to throw the full weight of my support into doing this for anyone interested, as it has been too short of an observation time, but I will say that I like what I see so far. If it really helps, however, it will be well worth the price of the test.
    ~ Mark Twain~

Thank you wr7476 — that is very reasonable for an accurate test. Would you let us know how it continues to work out?

Is this the right one you are talking about? I wanted to post the correct link for anyone interested

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Suppleme...lood-Test.html

Your welcome Reesacat. This is indeed the test I speak of. As you can see, the test costs $264.00. However, if you join as a member, the savings is $66.00. Elena found a trial membership on Facebook that is free for six months, and due to the fact that she is uninsured and will require many future labs to monitor thyroid, she plans to continue after the trial ends. For the uninsured, this is the way to go for huge savings on labs.
    For example, Elena got all the tests included in the Healthy Aging panel (comprehensive), Reverse T3, Vitamin D 25 Hydroxy, and full iron panel for about $360.00. Back in May, she payed over 500 dollars for the thyroid panel alone at our local hospital. And we are receiving a bill for an additional $87.00 because they say they billed us incorrectly, even though we paid cash up front for the full amount they wanted at the time. Life Extension has been a real blessing. Check out all the available tests here.

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Suppleme...lood-Tests.htm

EDIT: Oh, I forgot the best part. NO DOCTOR LAB ORDER REQUIRED! This equates to further savings on doc visits for a hundred dollar permission slip to take to your overpriced hospital....
    Last edited by wr7476; 09-09-14 at 01:40 AM.
    ~ Mark Twain~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information