Thread: Who Says Eggs Aren't Healthy Or Safe?

Default Who Says Eggs Aren't Healthy Or Safe?

Dr Michael Greger
    September 5 2014

The American Egg Board is a promotional marketing board appointed by the U.S. government whose mission is to “increase demand for egg and egg products on behalf of U.S. egg producers.” If an individual egg company wants to run an ad campaign, they can say whatever they want. But if an egg corporation wants to dip into the 10 million dollars the American Egg Board sets aside for advertising, because the board is overseen by the federal government, corporations are not allowed to lie with those funds. This leads to quite revealing exchanges between egg corporations that want to use that money and the USDA on what egg companies can and cannot say about eggs.
    Thanks to the Freedom of Information Act I was able to get my hands on some of those emails. Of course a lot of what I got were pages with nearly all of the text blacked out (see the above video). But I did find some illuminating correspondence. One email was from an egg company trying to put out a brochure on healthy snacking for kids. But because of existing laws against false and misleading advertising, the head of the USDA’s poultry research and promotion programs reminds the company that eggs or egg products cannot be couched as being healthy or nutritious.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/who...#ixzz3CWp1Whbc

Default Re: Who Says Eggs Aren't Healthy Or Safe?

And you wonder why I tear out my hair when I read this nonsensical propaganda....
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Eggs have been villainized off and on for years. I never paid much attention. I eat eggs on the average of several times a week and have never gotten sick from them. Neither have they caused my cholesterol to rise, which I figured was nonsense in the first place. I do buy the cage-free eggs and I rinse them before cracking them open.

We should take note of the other article about eggs in Oz, to understand that "cage-free eggs" has become just another buzz word for a version of industrial factory farmed eggs. Just about all industry sponsored verbiage about food has been found to be propaganda for the purpose of deceiving the prospective customer (we the useless eaters).

Based on my research, cholesterol in eggs should not present a problem for most people. The folate and vitamin B6 in the yolk help prevent cholesterol coagulation and facilitate the removal of cholesterol from the body. Further, most of the fats in the yolk are unsaturated, like oleic and linoleic acids, and reduce dietary fat and cholesterol absorption in your intestines. Also, the egg is excellent source of vitamins A, B12, D, E, K, selenium, pantothenic acid, calcium, phosphorus, iron, and zinc. The yellow coloring of the yolk is due to high concentrations of lutein and zeaxanthin, which benefit your eyes and skin. Lastly, the choline in eggs improves memory and cognitive response. What's not to like about an egg....it's the "perfect food."

Veteran Member

As I've said before, on most days I eat 6 raw organic eggs, prepared in a delicious drink made with cocoa, homemade oat 'milk', and organic sugar. I drink one made with three eggs in the morning, and usually one in the afternoon. This has never caused me any problem. I was already eating one raw egg per day (or maybe two; I don't remember now), when my chiropractor recommended I eat more animal protein to build muscle. He thought the added raw eggs were a great idea. He eats raw eggs himself, but he just downs them with nothing added, as my husband recently took to doing. My way is delicious, though, and I thoroughly enjoy my eggs drinks.
    Last edited by Pattypans; 09-07-14 at 09:08 PM.

Thread Information