Thread: Alzheimer's and Vitamin D

Veteran Member

Default Alzheimer's and Vitamin D

I usually receive an email newsletter from Dr. William C. Douglass. Frequently I ignore it because he has taken to doing too much government bashing. Granted, the government needs bashing now and then, but that's not why I subscribed to the free newsletter. Every once in a while, however, he comes out with a worthwhile tidbit.

This morning his article contained a very interesting blurb about a recent British study on Alzheimer's. This study tracking seniors over 65 who developed Alzheimer's discovered that the one thing they all had in common was low Vitamin D. They found that seniors very low in D were as much as 125 percent more likely to develop Alzheimer's. There are several articles on this study. Here's a link to one of them:

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/A...858/story.html
    Last edited by Lovemywesties; 09-10-14 at 11:00 AM.

Default Re: Alzheimer's and Vitamin D

No surprise at all. Vitamin D has been linked to virtually every modern disease, from the common cold to cancer. That's why I work to keep my level at 80 ng/mL.

As for Douglass, I cancelled him long ago. Besides those gov't. rants, he's a smoker who defends his habit. Destroys his credibility in most other areas.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Default Re: Alzheimer's and Vitamin D

True, Islander. I don't understand Douglass' defense of smoking. It flies in the face of everything we've known about it for the last 50 years. I think he's a die-hard trying to justify his addiction to tobacco.

I think low Vitamin D is probably only one element that drastically increases the risk of Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia. I suspect certain prescription drugs can add to that risk, and I know some types of anesthesia can mess with the mind. Like many things, the onset of Alzheimer's might be the result of the "perfect storm," possibly triggered by low to severely low Vitamin D. Keeping the D topped off may be the single best thing we can do for ourselves. I've always maintained that the dermatology industry has done immense damage by continually harping about how bad sun exposure is and the importance of sunscreen.

Thread Information