Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reduce Your Risk Of Dying From A Blood Clot By 48%

Default Reduce Your Risk Of Dying From A Blood Clot By 48%

Dr. Frank Shallenberger
    September 10, 2014

Do you have a history of blood clots? Does the problem run high in your family? If so, you should know about a new study that shows an easy, safe, and inexpensive way to lower your risk. It could just save your life.

The technical term for getting blood clots is venous thromboembolism or VTE for short. VTE is the third most common cardiovascular illness after heart attacks and strokes. And it's not uncommon. About one million cases occur in the United States each year. And it can be very serious — about one-third of those people die when the clots break off and travel to their lungs. When that happens, it is referred to as a pulmonary embolism. According to the Cleveland Clinic, "Pulmonary embolism is the third most common cause of hospital-related death and the most common preventable cause of hospital-related death."

To read the rest of the article go to:
    http://www.secondopinionnewsletter.c...clot-by-48.htm

Default Re: Reduce Your Risk Of Dying From A Blood Clot By 48%

Not so long ago there was a spate of VTE cases caused by long distance flights. Haven't seen it mentioned recently.

Very interesting results. There are actually two types of blood clots--arterial and venous. While fish oil may reduce clotting, my understanding is that it is most effective on arterial clots, not VTEs. Arterial clots involve mostly platelets, while venous clots involve mostly fibrin--a protein. While fish oil may prove somewhat effective against VTEs, anti-coagulants are most effective. Substances that act as anti-coagulants are cinnamon (coumarin), vitamins E & D, and evening primerose oil. See a more extensive list of foods and nutrients that act as anti-coagulants here:
    http://files.www.clotconnect.org/pat...e_May_2013.pdf

Nattokinase and lumbrokinase are very good fibrinolytic agents.

Mr. Wizard recently recommended another proteolytic enzyme, GermanZyme. I ordered t and began taking it according to directions. My last series of blood tests during my 4th hospitalization showed elevated liver enzymes. When asked what I was consuming that was new since my previous three admissions, this was the only item, so I was advised to d/c it.

BTW, on each hospital admission the standard of practice was to inject a blood thinner. I refused the first couple of times, and evidently it went on my record because I was not offered it again.
    Last edited by Islander; 09-11-14 at 08:40 AM.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Islander, as far as I know enzymes don't raise liver function tests. Pain medications do and you have had some with previous hospitalizations. Just curious but did they give you pain meds with Tylenol in them?

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Mr. Wizard recently recommended another proteolytic enzyme, GermanZyme. I ordered t and began taking it according to directions. My last series of blood tests during my 4th hospitalization showed elevated liver enzymes. When asked what I was consuming that was new since my previous three admissions, this was the only item, so I was advised to d/c it.
    By all means, follow the advice of your doc and stop taking them. But, you should know that my friend with pancreatic turmors was also taking the same GermanZyme proteolytic enzymes with no increase in her liver enzymes. I, too, have taken the GermanZyme enzymes, and my doc has never mentioned elevated enzymes to me. I'm just wondering if your elevated enzymes could be due to something else. But, as already noted, follow your doc's advice.

Resacat, I was indeed given pain meds, multiple ones, but did they have Tylenol? No idea. If anyone has a PDR, these are the ones I remember:
    morphine
    fentanyl
    dilaudid
    Oh nevermind. I googled them but that was unhelpful, although I didn't see Tylenol as an active ingredient. These were all administered IV, BTW. I was also given an anti-nausea drug but have no idea what it was.

Your explanation makes more sense than the attending's. He wanted an answer but didn't have the background you have to figure it out!

Islander, those don't have Tylenol in them. I don't know if the doses you had IV would have raised your liver enzymes or not (I haven't given IV pain meds since 1983 and didn't use fentanyl so I am not current on pain protocols and side effects).

Tylenol is notorious for raising liver enzymes and often is used in combination with other drugs in prescriptions for pain medications so that is why I was asking.

On the first 3 occasions I was heavily medicated for 2 1/2 days; on the 4th incident, about a day and a half. I don't take Tylenol, ever, and since these didn't contain it either, I wonder whether the heavy use of other pain meds over the last 6 weeks could have raised these enzymes. You think?

Drugs, alcohol and infections (viral and bacterial) are all common causes of elevated liver enzymes. Structural problems such as a blocked biliary duct can also cause problems. You have some structural problems with the intestinal blockage as well so I just don't know.

I would avoid alcohol, Tylenol, and take milk thistle myself.

Here is a good article from the Mayo Clinic on causes of elevated liver enzymes:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/e...s/sym-20050830

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    On the first 3 occasions I was heavily medicated for 2 1/2 days; on the 4th incident, about a day and a half. I don't take Tylenol, ever, and since these didn't contain it either, I wonder whether the heavy use of other pain meds over the last 6 weeks could have raised these enzymes. You think?
    First of all, when I started nattokinase, liver enzymes were very high, I had fatty liver disease, enlarged liver etc. All that is gone now and liver enzymes normal for 3 or 4 years now. I have never heard of proteolytic enzymes raising liver enzymes. Nothing IV would have Tylenol. I'm not a doctor of course but I have a theory. You have been dealing with small bowel obstruction. The gall bladder empties into the small bowel. You probably have a chronic partial obstruction. Anyway, if there is any obstruction of duct draining the gall bladder, bile will back up into the liver causing elevated liver enzymes (and excruciating pain). If there is obstruction of the ducts draining the pancreas, then you end up with pancreatitis (which apparently is not happening). I am not aware of narcotics being implicated in elevated enzymes but there are lots of drugs, including aspirin and NSAIDS which can.

Thanks so much for finding that for me. Nothing on that list pertains to me, with the possible exception of alcohol, since I do have a couple of glasses of wine every night and consequently, I also take milk thistle, just as a precautionary measure. No Tylenol in the house! What leads me to consider the pain meds as the proximate cause is that they draw blood daily, every day while I was in hospital... and everything has been niomal during the first 3 admissions; only in this last one did they notice the liver. I'm thinking it might be a temporary, cumulative effect?

EDIT: Mellow posted while I was typing. I have not had a gall bladder for 15 years. How does that change the equation?

Excruciating pain? I haz it!

That is a good question to ask your GI doctor on your consult.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information