Thread: Why Food Allergies Have Taken Over

Default Why Food Allergies Have Taken Over

Diana Herrington
    September 10 2014

Food allergy awareness is not something we dealt with when we were children, but it’s now an epidemic. We’re finally starting to learn why. Almost 15 million people in the United States have food allergies, including 1 in 13 children.
    There has been a 50 percent rise of food allergies between 1997 and 2007, and no one seemed to know why.
    Nutritionists have considered junk food a possible cause of food allergies for many years.

Why Are There So Many Food Allergies?
    One of the theories is that our diet has changed dramatically with the addition of unhealthy junk food full of sugar and unhealthy oils, highly processed foods full of chemicals and much more.

Default Re: Why Food Allergies Have Taken Over

This article, while informative, fails to mention other factors that may play a role in the increase in food allergies: bottle-feeding rather than breast-feeding; peanut oil used in vaccines; increased hygiene (germophobia); GMOs and products like wheat and sugar that are treated with glyphosate; and other environmental toxins we are yet unaware of, but whose effect is synergistic. Since it did not propose a remedy, I went looking and found this: Gut bacteria that protect against food allergies identified. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0825152016.htm

Now I wanted a source for Clostridia, but all I could find on line were listings for C. perfringens (something I dealt with in sheep, back when I raised them), C. botulinis and C. difficile. The article I just cited suggested probiotics...but I've never seen Clostridia included on the label of any. Mercola did an article a day or two ago on Clostridia but failed to list a source, either food or supplement. I did find this: "The researchers have filed a patent to develop ways to prevent food allergies, and they plan to work with biotechnology companies to engineer such probiotic therapies." http://www.cbsnews.com/news/probioti...l-study-shows/

Members, what can you find?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Ummmm....don't get caught in the "One Probiotic Fixes ______ (Name Your Condition)"........For example Dr. Perlmutter writes that Lactobacillus plantarum reduces gut wall permeability
    http://www.drperlmutter.com/consider...m/?hvid=5qELg2

Right now looking at the emerging research on the gut biome using traditional fermented foods plus rotating strains of probiotics will be the most helpful.

I listen to quite a few podcasts and one of the interesting theories coming out is that probiotics don't recolonize the gut like previously thought — but they do have cell-signaling factors that cause the existing gut biome to change...............

Leaky gut leading to food allergies have other causes than antibiotics — grains, GMO foods, pesticides, and NSAIDS are a big problem. I did like the article but have found in myself and others trying to reverse food allergies once you reach adulthood is much more difficult than set forth in this article.

Just a general observation — many of these articles are short in length and address only one factor of a complex problem. Islander and others talk frequently about this. Most of the issues being addressed are very complex, multi-factorial, and need a short book to go through the relevant information.

I think posting a variety of articles will help Forum members to see the different factors of a problem and find an author or group of authors to go get a book or do further research.

Reesacat, you are so correct! Perhaps it is because of short attention spans, but I have noticed that the "one single cause" and "one single magic bullet solution" thinking has come to dominate almost all conversation, regardless of whether drugs or more natural, wholesome solutions are being discussed. Just look at the vaccine issue; unless one single ingredient injected into the human body can be found to be the culprit for a specific single symptom, the whole concept must be seen as being OK. What a load of "malarkey"!

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat View Post
    Ummmm....don't get caught in the "One Probiotic Fixes ______ (Name Your Condition)"........For example Dr. Perlmutter writes that Lactobacillus plantarum reduces gut wall permeability
    I have been taking a mixed probiotic for a while, but recently had a few odd symptoms. My local pharmacist recommended L.plantarum, which was not one of the probiotics in the mix I was taking. Problems fixed! So it worked for me, but maybe not for everyone.

Thanks Julieanne. food allergies recently hit my radar and I'm hitting the research pretty hard at this time. I'm now realizing the great benefits of allergen avoidance, but allergen tolerance is a subject I find to be even more beneficial.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

I am so glad the L. plantarum helped Julieanne! I have found S. boulardii very useful for chronic diarrhea also. There is a place for single source probiotics for specific conditions. But to get healthy gut flora most functional medical practitioners recommend a variety for long-term gut health. Nora Gegaudas, for whom I have great respect, suggested taking a brand of high quality probiotics and then when you finish the bottle do another brand just to get different strains plus fermented foods. Since most of us have been on multiple courses of antibiotics throughout our lives that made a lot of sense to me.

Here is a link to the Mercola article, where he mentions Clostridia but identifies no source.
    http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/134...ng.html/?c=sfm
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information