Thread: FIRST GMO WEED STRAIN: MONSANTO AND MARLBORO JOIN FORCES FOR NEW GMO CANNABIS STRAIN

Default FIRST GMO WEED STRAIN: MONSANTO AND MARLBORO JOIN FORCES FOR NEW GMO CANNABIS STRAIN

Thor Odinson
    August 11th, 2014

Monsanto and Marlboro have just announced there new partnership and will be releasing a new strain of GMO weed very soon in Washington and Colorado which will be available in medicinal and recreational pot stores.

When asked if they will be using the round up ready gene, this is what a rep. from monsanto had to say:

“ No, this will not be necessary for a plant such as cannabis, which is already naturally a very hardy plant. We are simply combining desirable genes which are already present in certain cannabis plants, to make a super plant”

Read more: http://prn.fm/first-gmo-weed-strain-...nnabis-strain/
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Default Re: FIRST GMO WEED STRAIN: MONSANTO AND MARLBORO JOIN FORCES FOR NEW GMO CANNABIS STR

Good grief, can't they leave anything alone? I guess the answer is to grow your own from non-GMO seeds derived from a reputable source.

Default Re: FIRST GMO WEED STRAIN: MONSANTO AND MARLBORO JOIN FORCES FOR NEW GMO CANNABIS STR

And the Marlboro Man is being replaced by that suburban "cowboy" who sings (lip syncs) those western music TV Roundup commercials.

Yes, it is the downside to pot legalization that big business will jump on it and exploit it.

GMO cannabis is completely unnecessary - thousands of strains have already been hybridised to contain large amounts of the THC/CBD levels. What would a GMO plant have they that didn't, and would a government allow a 'super plant'?

Had a discussion with a friend who works for the Department of Health here in Oz, and he is all for legalising medicinal cannabis (please don't call it weed!), but not recreational cannabis. A bill for legalisation failed to pass recently, despite overwhelming public support, but he thinks it will go through eventually.

His reason for opposing it is that Big Tobacco is poised to jump on this, and in his view they would push for it to replace cigarettes with the right type of promotion. As tobacco advertising has been banned for quite some time, I don't know how they would do this - but I'm sure they'd find a way!

PS If anyone is still naive enough to believe Big Pharma is interested in our health, this is a great example which shows they only care about profits. A GMO product is not needed and would have nothing to offer - but might make a lot of money! I would hope people reject it.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 09-15-14 at 10:55 PM.

In our area, a question about whether to allow legal medicinal cannabis will be on the ballot in November. As the stuff grows just about everywhere around here, complete legalization would seem to me to be a no-brainer, but evidently I am in a minority so far. Nonetheless, small steps first such as medical usage would be a good thing. Our key in getting this to pass into law is that one of our 15 Senators is a Rastafarian, and always can be counted upon to push things in the correct direction on these issues.

"Julieanne"; "His reason for opposing it is that Big Tobacco is poised to jump on this, and in his view they would push for it to replace cigarettes with the right type of promotion. As tobacco advertising has been banned for quite some time, I don't know how they would do this - but I'm sure they'd find a way!"

Your friend has an interesting point, not that I necessarily agree with that, but how does one rationalize recreational MJ, while at the same time heavily restricting the use of tobacco. Both are hot smoke in the lungs and throat, not good. I'm sure there are answers, such as consuming MJ in ones food, and of course medicinal use and such, but the tobacco companies are going to make "hay" over this in order to resurrect their industry. Perhaps we will be seeing tobacco laced cookies.
    They better, at least, be organic.
    Last edited by grulla; 09-16-14 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    but how does one rationalize recreational MJ, while at the same time heavily restricting the use of tobacco. Both are hot smoke in the lungs and throat, not good.
    One point, and I'm generalising here, is that many cigarette smokers smoke from 20 to 60 cigs a day, whereas only a dedicated stoner has more than a recreational smoke in the evenings or at weekends. You would have to be a very heavy cannabis user to cause the same damage to your lungs.

Also, while tobacco users enjoy the sensation of smoking, few of them want to get 'high' ( in the same way that I enjoy a glass of wine but don't want to get drunk). They are not looking to escape or feel different, in fact many fear the loss of control that cannabis might bring. This probably applies less to young people, and is just my observation.

Re tobacco laced cookies - you have obviously never been a smoker! One would get no pleasure at all from those, it's all about the 'hit' through the lungs. Impossible to explain to someone who has never smoked. I still miss it!
    Last edited by Julieanne; 09-16-14 at 12:11 PM.

I agree with Julieanne, there is no comparison between the pack-a-day+ cigarette smoker and a medical or recreational smoker. In fact, many users in both categories prefer a vaporizer to a joint or a pipe. No smoke is generated via vaping.

That said, I don't see the tobacco companies panicking over recreational mj. I see them more likely to team up with some other producer, as in the OP, to get marginally involved. I see the biggest opponents being the beer and alcohol industry, the pharmaceutical companies and the private prisons, all of which stand to lose revenue as the acceptance of recreational mj takes over the country.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information