Thread: B6 for Trigger Finger

Default B6 for Trigger Finger

This is part of a question to and answer from Dr. Jonathan Wright on what to do for trigger finger.

Releasing the trigger

Q: My father, sister, and myself have been or are still afflicted with something referred to as "trigger finger." My father puts up with it, my sister had a procedure done where they snipped something at the base of her finger and evidently it alleviated the problem. I, however, had cortisone shots in my index finger which worked for about three years. It now has returned, but on a lesser level and tolerable. Unfortunately, my middle finger has started to lock up worse than the index finger ever has. I also had the middle finger injected with cortisone, it worked, but to a much lesser degree and returned much faster. I'd like to avoid the "snipping" my sister had, but I haven't been able to find any alternative. Do you have any suggestions as to what could be done at this point?

Dr. Wright: For those readers not familiar with it, trigger finger is a condition in which your finger joint gets "stuck" and won't move without quite an effort. Then, when it does move, it moves quite suddenly. Fortunately, there's a simple solution that doesn't involve surgery.

Years ago, Dr. John Ellis found that taking 100 milligrams of vitamin B6 three times a day for several months almost always eliminates this condition.

Dr. Jonathan Wright
    Health E-tips
    December 11, 2008
    www.wrightnewsletter.com
    Last edited by Reesacat; 12-11-08 at 07:46 PM.

Default Re: B6 for Trigger Finger

This post reminded that I had a mild case of trigger finger a few years ago. It came right by itself without any medical intervention. This would suggest I must changed my diet in some way that increased my B6 intake.

I wonder about approaches like this. As I understand the B-complex, too much or not enough of one of the B vitamins can put all the rest out of whack.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander
    I wonder about approaches like this. As I understand the B-complex, too much or not enough of one of the B vitamins can put all the rest out of whack.
    Agree.
    To avoid trigger finger or carpal tunnel surgery I would do the B6 as Dr. Wright recommended for no longer than 3 months, and add B-complex and Vit C to make it more effective.
    I would not take high doses if I didn't have a severe problem and the only other option was surgery.
    There is a recommendation to not exceed 100 mg/day of B6 to avoid overdose.

This is great. I have a friend who is having severe problems with her fingers locking up. I'm going to send her this info. Also, B6, co-enzymated, is showing promise in asthma. 50mg co-enzymated B6 3 times a day for several months decreases severity and need to use rescue inhalers. I will try to find what I read and post it.

Veteran Member

Is "trigger finger" the same as Dupuytren's contracture?
    Some people cannot even tolerate lower doses of B6 because they can't excrete it.

I don't think it is Dupuytren's contracture-this is often called flexor tendonitis.
    Here is an article that actually shows pictures of the condition:
    http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/hw022.htm

It is often a repetative motion problem.

How do you tell if you can't excrete B6?

Veteran Member

You can only do it with blood tests.

Thread Information