Thread: Recommended Health Sources?

Default Recommended Health Sources?

What are the health information sources you most trust and recommend?

NOTE: Pragmatism takes care of ethics. I'm sick of all that "vegan ethics" BS. Vegan sources are okay as long as they are pragmatic. I've had enough of the preachy types.

So far:

Last edited by Islander; 1 Week Ago at 09:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Recommended Health Sources?

Many of the ones you see posted. I do well with Paleo so I tend to post from Chris Kresser and Mark Sisson. Dr. Amy Meyers is very good on mold, gluten auto-immune. Dr. Mark Hymen, Dr. Daniel Amen, Dr. David Perlmutter are also ones I trust. I may not agree with everything they say but reading a wide variety of sources I can see where their clinical experience and research are leading.
    (I am an RN, BS, MT(ASCP) who is recovering from CFIDS/ME after 30 years so I am interested in auto-immune and brain health which a lot of these clinicians and doctors treat.) You can Google the links or get them off of articles or if you have a problem I can get them for you.

I also listen to podcasts by Dave Asprey (The Bulletproof Executive) and Able James (The Fat Burning Man) who have a lot of cutting edge researchers in brain health, auto-immune and mental clarity/performance. I am on Dr. Terry Wahls protocol for diet for MS/auto-immune diseases. They have a lot of good information on diet (mostly Paleo) and lifestyle changes also on their websites.
    Last edited by Reesacat; 10-05-14 at 04:40 PM.

And I really like Dr. Pedram Shojai (OMD) and Dr. Sarah Gottfried on The Health Bridge. Dr. Shojai is a doctor of Oriental Medicine who is also a Daoist monk and Dr. Sarah is a Harvard trained MD, also MIT who does natural hormone balancing. They do an East meets West medicine podcast that looks at diet and lifestyle that is pretty lively and fun.
    http://healthbridgeshow.com

No one has yet mentioned Sayer Ji (www.GreenMedInfo.com) and Jon Barron, whose in-depth articles are regularly posted here. Jon does carry products but they are rarely mentioned nor are they the thrust of his articles.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Since Reesacat said "Many of the ones you see posted."; I am collecting what I see around the forum. Today I collected these sites from new posts made since my last visit yesterday.

Townsend Letter

Global GMO Free Coalition
    Health Impact News Daily

How much trust you lay on any of these sources about the accuracy of the health information? If the website is not about health information and more about what's happening; please, tell me. Thanks.

We try to make sure the information is as acurate as we know at this point in time. I would feel comfortable recommending those sites to people just learning as well as the more experienced health researchers here on the Forum.

Betsemes, I also wanted to find one source that was totally accurate and I could just do what they said and get well.
    It doesn't exist.

There are no perfect humans and therefore there are no perfect health websites. I think I could say 90% of the information on them is accurate.

The purpose of Hawkes Health is to put up a variety of resources we try to verify as accurate so you can read several different ones and see what they all are saying in common.

The article in the Townsed letter today was a bit heavy on colostrum as a treatment for leaky gut, (which I tried and it didn't work as I am extremely allergic to cow dairy), but most of the information in the article was spot on about the causes of leaky gut and what types of diseases are linked to leaky gut.

I do really like Chris Kresser's site and refer a lot of people there.
    http://chriskresser.com

The Alliance for Natural Health is more of an advocacy group but they do post useful information and legal action alerts. http://www.anh-usa.org/

There is a wealth of information out there, but I have found after signing up for many health-related newsletters, that some of them are unreliable or not particularly pertinent and I end up unsubscribing. You can find your inbox overflowing if you don't become selective!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat View Post
    We try to make sure the information is as acurate as we know at this point in time. I would feel comfortable recommending those sites to people just learning as well as the more experienced health researchers here on the Forum.
    Thanks.

Betsemes, I also wanted to find one source that was totally accurate and I could just do what they said and get well.
    It doesn't exist.
    Hmmm, Apparently you are reading too much into what I have posted here. I'm asking about how much trust do you place into the accuracy of the information provided on those sites. I'm not asking for sites that are 100% accurate. I do know they don't exist. I want to try them and see for myself. I'll choose what appeals to me and drop the rest.

The purpose of Hawkes Health is to put up a variety of resources we try to verify as accurate so you can read several different ones and see what they all are saying in common.
    That's similar to my purpose to come here. I've been a Mercola.com reader for years. His approach to health had made sense to me although there are things that I have not completely agreed with. Since this forum (apparently) spawned from unsatisfied people on Mercola's practices, I have guessed that the site mostly agree with Dr. Mercola's medical/nutritional/lifestyle advice. So it's a good site to broaden my sources and listen to a more varied range of opinions.

The article in the Townsed letter today was a bit heavy on colostrum as a treatment for leaky gut, (which I tried and it didn't work as I am extremely allergic to cow dairy), but most of the information in the article was spot on about the causes of leaky gut and what types of diseases are linked to leaky gut.
    It's the first time I read about colostrum. That was an interesting read.

I do really like Chris Kresser's site and refer a lot of people there.
    http://chriskresser.com
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    The Alliance for Natural Health is more of an advocacy group but they do post useful information and legal action alerts. http://www.anh-usa.org/
    Thank you.

There is a wealth of information out there, but I have found after signing up for many health-related newsletters, that some of them are unreliable or not particularly pertinent and I end up unsubscribing. You can find your inbox overflowing if you don't become selective!
    I have experienced that after signing up to a newsletter, some of them are entirely sales copy. Many times I just scan the newsletter and just close it without reading. Much of the information becomes repetitive, so I see little point on reading the same thing again.

I prefer healthline and webmd to any other health sources

Check out the Weston A. Price Foundation, (WAPF): https://www.westonaprice.org/

When visiting a "health website" for the first time, I read the sections entitled "About Us," "Our Mission," "Sponsored Advertising," etc. The Sponsored Advertising section gives you the best indication of who supports the website, and thus the content. WebMD, for example, is heavily sponsored by pharmaceuticals. WebMD also owns MedScape and MedinceNet. Given the dominant presence of pharmaceutical support for these websites, one can expect a heavy dose of articles and information related to allopathic or conventional medical treatment. These sites will not feature alternative, or natural remedies, or lifestyle changes for most health concerns. Knowing the primary sponsors or advertisers of a website is one way to get a handle on where that site is coming from.

Always, we must follow the money!

Thread Information