Thread: Low Carb Diet Fat Or Fiction

Default Low Carb Diet Fat Or Fiction

ABC TV 'Catalyst'
    November 13 2014
    Video (30 minutes) and transcript

This week in a special investigation, Catalyst explores the science behind the low carb diet. What are the health benefits and are there any risks? Is it suitable for everyone? Australian cricketer Shane Watson talks about how cutting carbs has helped him overcome his long-term struggle with weight. Recent research suggests it could improve the lives of people suffering from obesity and diabetes. Dr Maryanne Demasi asks international advocates, sports scientists and Australia’s leading nutritionists is it just another fad or is there more to cutting the carbs?

Read more:: http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4126228.htm
    Last edited by Islander; 11-14-14 at 09:05 AM.

Default Re: Low Carb Diet Fat Or Fiction

This was on TV last night in Oz. I wonder if it will cause an uproar like the two Catalyst programmes that recommended eating fat last year. It promoted angry reaction from the AMA re discontinuing statins.

I'm still looking forward to the day when carbs are divided into two subcategories: starchy carbs, as opposed to fruits and vegetables that grow above ground. There is no lack of evidence that avoiding starchy carbs promotes good health, but you'll have to crash through the gates of a lot of vested interests before that becomes accepted truth.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I'm still looking forward to the day when carbs are divided into two subcategories: starchy carbs, as opposed to fruits and vegetables that grow above ground. There is no lack of evidence that avoiding starchy carbs promotes good health, but you'll have to crash through the gates of a lot of vested interests before that becomes accepted truth.
    Agreed, and take that a step further and categorize the good starch veggies according to their carb content, much like the glycemic index for fruit chart that mercola displays in various article like this one; http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-diabetes.aspx with daily limits for people with various health related problems.

Although I know you’re a fan, Mercola is not always the best source for this kind of information — one of the reasons why so many members here are Mercola refugees. There is a difference between glycemic index and glycemic load, an important difference to anyone who is diabetic or hoping to avoid ever becoming diabetic. The glycemic index simply measures how rapidly a carbohydrate is converted to sugar in your blood stream. A food with a high glycemic index will spike your blood glucose, but it has little to do with the amount of carbohydrate it contains. Glycemic load, on the other hand, is a measure of actual carbs and an indicator of how a carb will ultimately affect your blood glucose. Two tablespoons of honey, for instance, have a GI of 87 but a GL of only 18. Carrots, a root vegetable, are another good example: their GI is 71 but the GL is only 7.6. Thus a normal serving of carrots will have very little effect on blood sugar.

Knowing the difference makes it easier to control both blood sugar and weight. It’s important to understand that a high spike in blood sugar will release extra insulin, whereas the long-term glycemic load will help keep blood sugar more stable.

More info here: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...ains/gigl.html

Thanks for that "Islander". But my main point is that a convenient index or load chart for starchy veggie would be a nice convenience. Gotta check your link.

There are plenty of charts out there. Here's one: http://alsearsmd.com/glycemic-index/

Veteran Member

Islander, I think I've intuited something vaguely along the lines of what you just explained, without knowing the hows and whys. You're a genius! Thank you!

Thanks, Patty but no genius here. I just boned up on that stuff when I was first diagnosed. You're the clever one for figuring it out on your own!

Funny that corn seems to have the highest load of anything else on that list Islander. it's also higher by almost double.

Guess that's why they call it SWEET corn!

I am as yet anticipating the day when carbs are partitioned into two subcategories, bland carbs, instead of foods grown from the ground that develop over the ground, there is no absence of proof that dodging boring carbs advances great well being, however you should crash through the doors of a considerable measure of personal stakes previously that ends up acknowledged truth...
    My life is my message

Thread Information