Thread: New Clue In Celiac Disease Puzzle: Cause Of Oat Toxicity Explained

Veteran Member

Default New Clue In Celiac Disease Puzzle: Cause Of Oat Toxicity Explained

from MedicalXpress
    November 18, 2014

Melbourne researchers have identified why some people with coeliac disease show an immune response after eating oats.

The researchers have identified the key components in oats that trigger an immune response in some people with coeliac disease. The findings may lead to better tests for oat toxicity, and have implications for new treatments being developed for coeliac disease.

As many as one in 60 women and one in 80 men in Australia have coeliac disease, an autoimmune condition caused by consuming gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye and barley.

Read more here: http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-1...uzzle-oat.html
    Last edited by Islander; 11-20-14 at 10:00 AM.

Default Re: New clue in celiac disease puzzle: Cause of oat toxicity explained

I recently heard a podcast with Dr. Tom O'Brian who researches gluten/celiac disease and he said also part of the problem is even with gluten free oats they are finding them contaminated with wheat due to transport, processing, etc.

Veteran Member

Reesacat, I just realized that I posted this in "Getting Started!" It's been such a long time since I've begun a new thread that I've forgotten how, and I couldn't find the information. I also don't remember the max number of words, though I think it's 100. Is that right? Is there a way you can put this in the appropriate forum? So sorry!

LOL! Pattypans I didn't even notice — thank you and will move it promptly!

Default Re: New Clue In Celiac Disease Puzzle: Cause Of Oat Toxicity Explained

Yes it is 100 words or so. The Guidelines are in Getting Started Forum under Rules of the Road.
    Here are the guidelines in Islander's signature style:

• This is a HEALTH forum. Please stay on topic. Religion, politics and conspiracy theories are not only off topic, but too inflammatory for a public message board.

• Posting:
    - It's customary to begin each thread with a published article. If you want to express an opinion rather than refer to a published article, please use the Blogspot at the bottom of the home page.
    - Keep headline language specific to aid in search functions.
    - Follow existing format (author, date, etc.)
    - Cite article source at end.
    - Please edit spacing if necessary, i.e. break up big blocks of text and close up large white spaces.
    - Use the Preview button to see your post the way it will appear. You can now make any needed changes in spacing, etc. before actually posting. If you spot an error after posting, use the Edit button to correct it.
    - Copyrighted articles cannot be reprinted in their entirety. To check, scroll to the bottom of the source. If you find copyright language, you may post approximately 100 words from the article to give us the flavor, then link to the source with the words, "Read more:" followed by the url. Please check, because some sites encourage you to reprint, and others do so under Creative Commons license.

Please do not use the Private Message function to ask a health question of a forum member. Our mission is to educate and inform, not to dispense medical advice. Your questions are best posted in the Q&A forum, where you will have the benefit of other members' experiences, thoughts or suggestions; besides, someone else may have the same question and will find answers as they read.

• We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the above expectations. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the site standards.

• We value your privacy. We will never rent, sell, or otherwise use your e-mail address for anything other than the services you specifically request. Period.

Disclaimer: This site contains an aggregate of studies, news, and information from a wide array of sources. It often includes comments from well-educated members on a variety of health-related topics, with an emphasis on alternative and natural (as opposed to pharmaceutical) approaches. Advice and suggestions offered here are for informational purposes only and are not intended to replace consultation with your own qualified medical professional. This forum and its members cannot be held liable for actions you take based on information obtained here.

Donations: Hawkes' Health is volunteer-run and member-supported. There are charges for licensing, hosting, bandwidth etc. If you have found the contents useful, please consider a donation. Contact the Administrator via Private Message for a mailing address, or click the yellow Paypal button. And thank you!
    Last edited by Islander; 11-20-14 at 09:35 AM.

Veteran Member

Default Re: New Clue In Celiac Disease Puzzle: Cause Of Oat Toxicity Explained

Thank you! I looked exactly there! How on earth did I miss it?!?

Thread Information