Thread: Eating Sesame Seeds Superior To Tylenol for Knee Arthritis

Veteran Member

Default Eating Sesame Seeds Superior To Tylenol for Knee Arthritis

From Green Med Info
    Sunday, November 10th 2013
    Written By:Sayer Ji

A remarkable new study published in the International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases confirms that food is not only medicine, but sometimes superior to it. Medical researchers working out of Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran, sought to investigate the effects of sesame seed supplementation on clinical signs and symptoms in patients with knee osteoarthritis.[i]

Knee osteoarthritis is a form of degenerative joint disease or degenerative arthritis localized in the knee, and causes a variety of symptoms including pain, swelling, abnormal bone growth (which can result in bone spurs), disfigured cartilage and loss of motion, and it affects as many as 12.1% of adults aged 60+, according to the CDC.[ii] Standard therapy involves the use of NSAID drugs, many of which have been linked both to internal bleeding and significantly increased risk of cardiac mortality, which is why the researchers sought out to look for "a complementary treatment to reduce complications and costs."

The study took fifty patients with osteoarthritis of the knee, and divided them into two 25-patient groups: a sesame group, receiving 40 grams/day of powdered sesame seeds, and a standard drug therapy group, receiving two 500 mg doses of Tylenol twice a day along with 500 mg of glucosamine once daily. After two months of treatment, 22 patients in the sesame intervention group and 23 patients in the control group completed the study.

Read more at http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/eat...knee-arthritis
    Last edited by Pattypans; 12-07-14 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Fix formatting

Default Re: Eating Sesame Seeds Superior To Tylenol for Knee Arthritis

I've read a few studies now on knee osteoarthritis. I'm wondering if this treatment would be helpful for arthritis elsewhere, eg, hands, hips etc. I don't see studies on those.

Veteran Member

Well, Julieanne, it probably couldn't hurt. Maybe knee arthritis is the most common; that might account for the numerous studies.

I have osteoarthrosis in both knees, though I've had it for a lot longer in the left knee. I really like sesame seeds, and I eat them happily. But if it weren't for a good chiropractor and muscle-building exercises at the (discounted, thank God!) gym, I'd be in serious pain every time I walked, and often when trying to sleep. At the very least. Those two things have radically improved my quality of life.
    Last edited by Pattypans; 12-08-14 at 08:47 AM.

I would put this under one of those things to try as it is food and it can't hurt. And remember gluten and dairy are two very inflammatory joint foods — eliminating them for 3-4 weeks is the only way to find out if they are a primary factor in your joint pain.

Thread Information