Thread: A Natural Fix for A.D.H.D.

Default A Natural Fix for A.D.H.D.

Richard A. Friedman
    October 31, 2014

A Natural Fix for A.D.H.D.

ATTENTION deficit hyperactivity disorder is now the most prevalent psychiatric illness of young people in America, affecting 11 percent of them at some point between the ages of 4 and 17. The rates of both diagnosis and treatment have increased so much in the past decade that you may wonder whether something that affects so many people can really be a disease.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/op...mlukp=WT.mc_id
    Last edited by Reesacat; 12-24-14 at 02:43 PM.

Default Re: A Natural Fix for A.D.H.D.

This is an interesting article from the Times, but of course at the end they had to make a plug for pharmaceuticals. They wouldn't want to bite the hand that feeds.

That is fascinating.....My late husband had mild adult ADD and did very well in his work environment of being a critical care nurse in ICU. He could maintain focus very well when all hell was breaking loose. He loved to travel and shop. Makes sense he had the nomadic genes

Dang, where's that Like button?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I actually object to conditions like ADHD, autism, Type 2 diabetes and obesity being termed as diseases. Maybe I need to re-examine the definition of disease... but it seems to me that these are situations brought about by environmental influences or personal choices rather than any traditional notion of infection or contagion.

In response to Islander: This is a very old semantic trick. Just change the accepted definition of a word, and you have succeeded in warping the manner that an entire subject is perceived by people. Now one must specify "infectious disease" to refer to a subset of "disease", which now is seen as encompassing everything from being too fat to garden variety a**hole behavior.

I scanned the article. As you all probably know, my husband has ADD. I don't think it's a disease. I think his brain is just wired that way. He can't watch a movie and pay attention all the way through. He could watch a movie 10 times and literally discover something new each time. He can't read a book through. He interrupts people constantly (although he's gotten better with a lot of effort and trying to eat better). He asked someone for advice and she said he needs to make himself a schedule. I LOL'd.

I think my youngest has a form of ADD. She hates sitting for hours in school so much that she has anxiety about school and it causes insomnia. Some mornings she has panic attacks. She said she feels trapped at school. I totally understand; but I haven't a clue as to what to do about it without resorting to drugs. She has a mass media class that allows her free movement. She can even leave class and go do interviews or shoot photos or videos and she said she feels fine then. At home she puts on music and paces around for hours just to get tired enough to go to sleep. I've added her to my gym membership and she likes that but it's just a drop in the bucket. Modern school is stupid IMO and needs a total overhaul/redesign.

I'm going to speculate that there is a set of similar symptoms with separate causes. I'm convinced that in some cases it's a matter of one's brain being differently wired. I can vouch for the fact that in some cases it's diet related, since I had a foster child who would go off the rails whenever he consumed sugar or additives in any form, whereas on whole foods he was perfectly fine, able to sit still and focus for extended periods. I have worked with ADHD-diagnosed children both in classroom situations and in therapy, and I've seen the positive difference that medication can make in behavior. I've heard multiple stories of young people who felt that medicating had removed their personality and all affect, but I've heard an equal number of stories of how Ritalin or Concerta or whatever was a real lifesaver in terms of enabling the individual to function effectively both in school and in other environments. I've seen the change in behavior when a child was switched from a brand-name med to a generic equivalent — which was obviously not 100% equivalent. (Generics are allowed to differ by 10% from the branded medication). I don't think we have yet come close to solving the mysteries of ADD and ADHD.

Psychostimulants like Adderall and Ritalin help ADHD by increasing the level of dopamine in the brain. To increase dopamine levels naturally, eat a high protein diet, add omega-3 fish oil, and B vitamins.

Thread Information