Thread: Birth Control and Brain Tumors

Default Birth Control and Brain Tumors

Beth Levine
    02/05/2015

Hormonal birth control methods such as the Pill are immensely popular. In fact, 2013 research by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta discovered that the Pill has been taken by 80 percent of sexually active women in the United States at some point.1 The benefits are appealing to many, as you can easily get a prescription for birth control pills from your doctor, there is no pressure to scramble for protection when the mood arrives suddenly, and there's the added bonus of very regular menstruation. However, the Pill has also been linked to plenty of problems, including certain forms of cancer, glaucoma, and hypertension. And now, it appears there may be another thing for Pill users to worry about. According to new research, these contraceptives may increase the risk of a certain type of brain tumor.

Read more: http://jonbarron.org/hormones/birth-...-brain-tumors#
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Default Re: Birth Control and Brain Tumors

This is very worrying. Besides the obvious intended use, the pill is often prescribed by doctors--in a cavalier manner, in my opinion, without taking into account any 'cost-benefit' analysis with regard to advantages and disadvantages--for many other uses. A doctor prescribed them for a loved one of mine in the US to alleviate symptoms of early perimenopause. Personally, I think this is irresponsible.

That raises another question for me: why do so many women have issues with menopause? I realize that I'm one of the old fossils here, but back in the day it was a non-issue; everybody went through "the change" without any whining because there really wasn't anything to fuss about. The only "symptom" I had was that my periods stopped. Hallelujah! I suppose that like everything else, diet and environmental toxins have had an effect on this normal transition as well.

Islander, did you have hot flashes?

(At age 50) I have no idea where I am in terms of menopause because I had an endometrial ablation but I did have hot flashes (occasionally still do). They were just annoying -- nothing I'd ever resort to drugs to remedy. I've seen commercials promoting drugs for hot flashes and they mention potential side effects. It gets down to risking your life to avoid hot flashes.

I think birth control pills are very dangerous as is all screwing around with artificial hormones.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    back in the day it was a non-issue; everybody went through "the change" without any whining .
    You were very lucky Islander, not to have had any symptoms. I'm around the same age as you - mine dragged on for years and nearly drove me crazy.

I think women didn't complain as much because you didn't talk of those things then, and there was nothing you could do anyway. It was a man's world, and women's issues were not highly regarded. In fact, I remember hearing men joke about it! The topic was raised sometime in the 70's, as I recall hearing a radio talk about menopause, interviewing women who were going through it. Most were having a hard time.

The mother of a friend of mine had a hysterectomy to get rid of the symptoms, they were so bad. Pretty drastic remedy!

Usually I refrain from sharing personal anecdotes; however, here is one. Way back when I was having "the change" (yes, I really am that old that this phase was the euphemism), I was having hot flashes about every half hour, throughout the day. As I still was working at a job during that time, frequently I found myself inside a large boiler, with two other actively steaming boilers in the boiler room, in the summertime. Sounds like lots of fun, yes?

Never did it cross my mind to take drugs for my difficulties. Women, especially in a "man's line of work", were expected to suck it up and to keep going. No slack was given, and we certainly did suck it up and did keep going. Nothing constitutes an illness that is worthy of any sympathy until some profitable drug treatment appears. Then dollar signs flash in front of eyes, and a previously invisible "illness" becomes some huge issue that requires immediate attention. Meh!

I wonder, am I unusual in some way? No, never any hot flashes; as I said, no symptoms except that I gradually stopped menstruating. I wonder whether it's genetic...or whether a lifetime of eating organically and taking high daily doses of vitamin C had any effect?

I have to add that sex was more enjoyable with the fear of a late pregnancy gone... and a menopausal woman gets a huge burst of confidence. Anybody else notice that?

That raises another question for me: why do so many women have issues with menopause? I realize that I'm one of the old fossils here, but back in the day it was a non-issue; everybody went through "the change" without any whining because there really wasn't anything to fuss about. The only "symptom" I had was that my periods stopped. Hallelujah! I suppose that like everything else, diet and environmental toxins have had an effect on this normal transition as well.
    I am with you Islander…
    Hot flashes that came from drinking too much alcohol thenight before and coffee that morning.
    I had heard years before menopause that through diet andexercise you could control most of your hot flashes. Of course I could be a real “B” at times but also think it was brought on with stress because I was still a working woman..

I wonder, am I unusual in some way? No, never any hot flashes; as I said, no symptoms except that I gradually stopped menstruating. I wonder whether it's genetic...or whether a lifetime of eating organically and taking high daily doses of vitamin C had any effect?

I have to add that sex was more enjoyable with the fear of a late pregnancy gone... and a menopausal woman gets a huge burst of confidence. Anybody else notice that?
    I was the same Islander. At the time I put it down to a long term healthy diet but recently I am seeing more evidence that a symptomatic menopause and adrenal fatigue are linked. I have never been the type of person to get highly stressed which is often what leads to adrenal fatigue and have made getting sufficient rest a high priority.

I think it's largely genetic. I do think diet plays in. I seem to notice more symptoms after drinking alcohol, but currently I'm having very uncomfortable muscle tightness, cramping, fatigue, and not dietary triggers to blame. If only it were hot flashes, which I get now and then.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    I am with you Islander…
    Hot flashes that came from drinking too much alcohol thenight before and coffee that morning.
    I had heard years before menopause that through diet andexercise you could control most of your hot flashes.
    Grandma, I had hot flashes, and at the time I drank alcohol only very rarely, and I never drink coffee. I was also mostly in a hot climate at the time, and having cold water handy and having a fan when I needed it helped me stay comfortable through the hot flashes. I'm pretty sure diet and exercise can help, though--they can help just about anything!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by bmc65 View Post
    ...currently I'm having very uncomfortable muscle tightness, cramping, fatigue, and not dietary triggers to blame. If only it were hot flashes, which I get now and then.
    Bmc, have you tried topical magnesium oil for muscle tightness and cramping? I find it extremely helpful, and you have the added benefit of absorbing magnesium (which it seems most of us need more of anyway) through the skin, a very efficient delivery method.

Also posted as a new thread - information about adrenal fatigue and menopausal symptoms.

http://drlwilson.com/Articles/MENOPAUSE.htm

I wonder, am I unusual in some way? ...

Yes, you are a woman who found giving birth to be orgasmic. I'm so frickin' jealous. I thought I was going to die.

I have more confidence in general, but not in my body.

Thanks for that link, Aaltrude. I think I was born stressed. Actually, I'm positive. And then I've had a stressful life. Exhaustion, illness, a deadline oriented career, abuse, and fighting day after day will kick one's butt.

Thread Information