Thread: The Ultimate Antioxidant

Default The Ultimate Antioxidant

Jon Barron
    02/23/2015

So what's the story with antioxidants? Do they make a difference or not? If you listen to the buzz, you end up more confused than ever.

• According to Julian Whitaker, M.D., "The jury has reached a verdict and I urge my medical colleagues to listen carefully. It's no longer a question of should our patients be taking antioxidant supplements, but rather which ones and why. It's time that physicians recognize the value of the growing body of research showing the many health benefits of natural antioxidants."
    • But if you listen to Stephen Barrett, M.D. at Quackwatch (for a contrary perspective), "There is widespread scientific agreement that eating adequate amounts of fruits and vegetables can help lower the incidence of cardiovascular disease and certain cancers. With respect to antioxidants and other phytochemicals, the key question is whether supplementation has been proven to do more good than harm. So far, the answer is no, which is why the FDA will not permit any of these substances to be labeled or marketed with claims that they can prevent disease."1
    • Or this from the Professor Tony Segal of the University College of London's Centre for Molecular Medicine, "Many patients might be using expensive antioxidant drugs based upon completely invalid theories as to their therapeutic potential."2
    • Confused, yet? Well then, how about this from The Rotterdam Study of Dietary antioxidants and Parkinson disease. "CONCLUSION: Our data suggest that a high intake of dietary vitamin E may protect against the occurrence of Parkinson's disease."3

Keep reading: http://jonbarron.org/anti-aging/ultimate-antioxidant#
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: The Ultimate Antioxidant

Excellent informative article! The repeating advice seems to be: Many different sources provide many differing types of anti-oxidant protection. And once again, whether I personally choose to eat every fruit and vegetable known, or to take every anti-oxidant supplement known, why is it anyone's business how I choose to spend my own money?

We can always depend upon John Barron to give an exhaustive and comprehensive discussion of any topic he chooses to write about. The trouble is, as in this case, TMI. I end up so confused that I just feel I have to shrug and eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables (I already eat the ones that he lists several times a week, with the exception of raisins) and continue my regimen of high-dose vitamin C.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

"Prunes, 5,770" wow! I've recently started eating half a dozen prunes a day for 'regularity', so this is good news.

And what are these 'expensive anti-oxidant drugs' Prof. Segal refers to? Does he mean supplements, which are not drugs, and aren't usually expensive? Like Maurya says, why should he care anyway?

Thread Information