Thread: Do Your Lightbulbs Cause Cancer?

Default Do Your Lightbulbs Cause Cancer?

Hiyaguha Cohen
    02/12/2015

If you've gone shopping for lightbulbs lately, you might have noticed that old-fashioned incandescent bulbs are in short supply, or maybe even in "no supply." That's because, in accordance with the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, most varieties of incandescent bulbs are no longer being manufactured. 1 The phase-out started in January of 2012, which saw the end of the 100-watt incandescent, and concluded in January of 2014, when industry stopped producing 40-watt incandescent bulbs. Currently, if you need to replace a bulb, your cheapest option is one of those spiral compact fluorescents (CFLs).

Read more: http://jonbarron.org/cancer-alternat...-cause-cancer#
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Do Your Lightbulbs Cause Cancer?

There appears to be some exceptions and exemptions to eliminating the incandescent bulb, such as rough duty, high vibration situations, various traffic signaling as well as ornamental bulbs and others. I, for one, depend on incandescent bulbs to prevent pipe freezing in the winter in a vulnerable location. I/we, on my former preretirement job, used to use incandescent bulbs as handy and convenient dummy electrical loads for testing diesel and propane generators. Some of those exemptions may be due to expire soon. These exempted bulbs will probably be available through electrical supply and lighting stores, among others. Here is a list; http://applications.nam.lighting.phi...molegislation/
    Last edited by grulla; 03-05-15 at 06:43 PM.

I hate the CFL bulbs for a multitude of reasons. Lighting is a tiny part of my electricity budget; I'm frugal and lights are never burning if I'm not in a room... so I have stocked up on incandescents. They may not be a lifetime supply but I sure do have quite a few!

What about the emerging LED lights? Are they a safer option? They are still at the stage where they are very expensive though but hopefully the price will come down as it has with CFLs.
    Last edited by Aaltrude; 03-06-15 at 02:40 PM.

LED lights give a very cold, white light. OK for torches, but not nice in the house.

No-one has mentioned halogen, which is pretty much indistinguishable from incandescent, but far more energy efficient.

Islander, like you, I don't have lights blazing away all night. I do leave the kitchen light on, because it lights up other areas - a 40w lamp for bedside reading works fine.

Aaltrude, from the article: "Oh, and If you're thinking that LED bulbs will solve all these problems since they contain no mercury and use even less energy than CFLs, the bad news is that LED bulbs have problems of their own, including containing lead, arsenic, and other toxic chemicals.6 Nevertheless, when balancing all the variables, they may still be the best choice, even though they're considerably more expensive than CFLs."

Quote Originally Posted by Aaltrude View Post
    What the emerging LED lights? Are they a safer option? They are still at the stage where they are very expensive though but hopefully the price will come down as it has with CFLs.
    Hi "Aaltrude", I just recently purchased a two-pac of 60 watt LED bubs at Wally for about $10.00 . Have not yet had a chance to try them out .

We have a LED light in our kitchen and it gives off a warm hue Julieanne. You do have the choice of colour temperature with LED light bulbs.
    http://www.integral-led.com/educatio...-or-cool-white

Quote Originally Posted by Aaltrude View Post
    We have a LED light in our kitchen and it gives off a warm hue Julieanne.
    Thanks Aaltrude, I hadn't looked into those. I guess the cold white ones must be the cheapest, as you see them everywhere.

Thread Information