Thread: Turmeric Cucurmin And Colon Cancer

Default Turmeric Cucurmin And Colon Cancer

Dr Michael Greger
    March 6 2015

The low incidence of bowel cancer in India is often attributed to natural antioxidants such as curcumin, the yellow pigment in the spice turmeric, used in curry powder. However, it is important to remember that the benefits of a diet are seldom produced by a single ingredient in that diet. For example, diets rich in beta-carotene lower the risk of tobacco-related cancers, but beta-carotene pills do not. That doesn’t stop researchers from trying, though.
    Back in 2001, in a last ditch attempt to save the lives of 15 patients with advanced colorectal cancer that didn’t respond to any of the standard chemotherapy agents or radiation, researchers started them on a turmeric extract. The extract appeared to help stall the disease in a third (5 out of 15) of the patients, suggesting that turmeric extract may clinically benefit at least some patients with advanced refractory colorectal cancer.

Default Re: Turmeric Cucurmin And Colon Cancer

I'm a strong advocate of curcumin, based on personal experience and experiences of others. The only thing about curcumin is the body does not absorb it easily. Piperine in pepper helps with absorption. Also, "liposomal" curcumin is best because absorption is not a problem. Here is a link to the brand I use: http://www.letstalkhealth.com/Liposo...16oz-p/627.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    I'm a strong advocate of curcumin, based on personal experience and experiences of others. The only thing about curcumin is the body does not absorb it easily. Piperine in pepper helps with absorption. Also, "liposomal" curcumin is best because absorption is not a problem. Here is a link to the brand I use: http://www.letstalkhealth.com/Liposo...16oz-p/627.htm
    Hi Mr. Wizard, when it comes to supplements, I often try to get to the true source compound of what the body wants from a given herb, spice, or food. The body wants the quercetin, for instance, for allergy help. So then, I don't see the need to take stinging nettle, the herb which contains quercetin. If we apply this idea to turmeric, then we would be desiring the curcumin. This curcumin fact is something I was not aware of until fairly recently, and that the bioavailability of curcumin itself is pretty low, is headline news to me. As a result, I ordered what is touted to be a bioavailable source of curcumin, which I have taken for only a week right now. Would you please tell me what you think on this product? should I finish the bottle and switch to yours or scrap the bottle? My knowledge on this one ends with curry in the kitchen.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/jarro...500-mg-60-caps
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

If a curcumin supplement is taken with Boswellia, ginger, black pepper, and/or the extracts of these herbs, along with a source of healthy dietary fats, the overall effect will be greater absorption and assimilation by the body.

As to "curry in the kitchen", traditionally this never has been a single cooking herb, but rather a combination of various herbs, combined into a masala. When I cook a curry style dish, the turmeric, cumin, coriander, ginger, cardamom, black pepper, etc. (it comes out slightly different every time) the herbs always are heated in the fat (for me, usually coconut oil) prior to the addition of the first vegetable, usually a sliced onion, to the mixture.

Oh boy Maurya, Indian cuisine is very intimidating to me. My mom's BFF (I love short-cutting typed words!) hails from Burma (now called Myanmar) and she has a spice box full of square tins, each of which contains a different spice. She similarly said it comes out tasting different every time, so the dish must be adjusted for heat and taste on each and every dish. A pinch of this, and a pinch of that is added from her little box of spices until satisfaction is achieved. As a newbie to Indian cooking, I just use a jar of premixed curry powder. Maybe one day, when I'm feeling brave, I'll try it using that box. I just love how it makes the house smell either way.
    ~ Mark Twain~

wr7476, I'm not one for wasting money. Your product only contains 60 capsules and you're already a week into them. As Maurya noted, you can substantially increase the absorption by using the spices/herbs she listed. Having said that, I guess my final answer about whether you should switch or stay with what you have depends on why you're taking curcumin. I take it primarily because colon cancer runs in my family and, frankly, I'm doing all I can to prevent having to deal with that issue. Your bottle stated for "joint relief." So, if you're taking it for joint relief, I'd stick with it until used up. Reesacat introduced me to liposomal products a while back. I'm just a sucker for anything liposomal.

Thanks Mr. Wizard. I really value your input. Despite the expense, my use of turmeric and curcumin compounds is one of the ways I attempt to combat inflammation. A double cervical spine surgery totaling 12 screws (one is loose! Seriously!), has left me prone to pain and inflammation. I am certainly grateful that I can almost walk normal again, however, running is still out of my league. The post surgery inflammation that plagues me can get quite intense at times as it radiates from my neck, down both arms, all the way to my hands and fingers. Sometimes it's the weather, and other times, it's the price of a good nights sleep.
    Another reason I take turmeric is to stave off cancer, such as the stomach cancer that took my dad at age 70. Ok, enough sobbing. I was intrigued by your liposomal variation of turmeric. I never thought a spice, or its compounds would need liposomal protection. No one can stop me from being my own guinea pig, so I am looking forward to trying liposomal turmeric. Thanks again Mr. W.
    ~ Mark Twain~

wr, I was putting in an order with iherb and came across this. It might interest you.

http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research...gie-Caps/18125

Edit: Just noticed it doesn't have the other ingredients eg piperine, so ignore this post!
    Last edited by Julieanne; 03-10-15 at 05:36 AM.

The best supplemental product I have come across so far is Bosmeric-SR (www.bomeric-sr.com), although I currently do not use this one, as it is quite pricey for my budget. The ingredients and the proportions of differing ingredients are just great IMHO. Just throwing this out there in case anyone would like to give it a try, hopefully reporting on its efficacy back to the group later.

@Maurya: Thank you very much for introducing me to Bosmeric-SR!!! This sounds too good to be true!!! I like that it was formulated to actually be a "natural" replacement for NSIADs, like ibuprofen, indomethacin, naproxen, and celecoxib. NSIADs are notorious for causing GI ulcers, perforations, and many other nasty side effects. On the other hand, Bosmeric-SR contains "four natural" ingredients known to naturally reduce pain: curcumin, boswellia (frankincense), ginger, and black pepper (piperine). What a godsend because a close relative of mine was just told by her doctor to avoid NSIADs. I knew ginger and curcumin were beneficial for pain, but did not know boswellia and black pepper were too. But to find all four ingredients in one tablet is, well, nothing short of fantastic. I'm so thankful for all the great people here at HH. Here's a writeup on Bosmeric-SR: http://www.holisticprimarycare.net/t...c-inflammation

Thank you Julieanne. Maybe it lacks the piperine, but there might be something to the Meriva. I eat plenty of good black pepper anyway.
    Thank you too Maurya. Ditto on Mr. Wizard's sentiments.
    M.W. Yes, we are certainly blessed with many wonderful, well informed friends here at H.H.
    ~ Mark Twain~

Thread Information