Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 Vegetables That Are Healthier Than Kale

Default 8 Vegetables That Are Healthier Than Kale

Katie Waldeck
    March 9 2015

It’s no stretch to say that the past few years have been all about kale. This once humble vegetable, more used as a plate garnish than anything else, has turned into the ultimate mainstream health food. But other veggies are just as, if not more, nutritious than kale. Read on for some of the vegetables that are healthier than kale.

Watercress.

Of all the vegetables out there, watercress is the most nutrient-packed per serving. These greens are high in nitrate, which improves oxygen performance during exercise and lowers blood pressure. Watercress contains a ton of vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin A and beta carotenes. It’s also the best food source of PEITC, a naturally-occurring compound that has been shown to suppress the development of breast cancer. Calorie for calorie, you can’t get any better than watercress.

Default Re: 8 Vegetables That Are Healthier Than Kale

That was an education! Thank you Julieanne

This article demonstrates that all veges are healthy and we should be eating a varied selection.

Thanks Aaltrude. I love all the veggies mentioned in the article and just ate a pile of kale for dinner. Yum.

Yup. I grow all except the Chinese cabbage.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I'm ashame to admit my disdain for most veggies. However, I force myself to eat some of them because I know it's necessary for health. To make sure I get a variety of veggies each day, I drink "low sodium" V8 juice, which contains watercress, parsley, spinach, carrots, beets, etc. I know, I know...this is not the healthiest way to get veggies. So, in addition to the juice, I eat either steamed broccoli, cooked collards, or a raw kale and green salad blend with every meal. We didn't eat a variety of veggies as children and this carried over to adulthood. I've made some progress over the past few years, but most veggies just don't turn me on!

Veteran Member

Mr. Wiz, I used to really like V-8 juice when I was a kid. It's good at least that you're eating a dark green veggie at each meal, especially if it's a good-sized portion. Have you thought of making your own vegetable juice? Then you could make it raw, and just the way you like it.

@Pattypans: Good suggestion: I use to own a juicer, but got tired of all the cleanup after using it. I occasionally purchase "organic" veggie juice. I know these are better ingredients. Also, I eat organic raw garlic, an organic raw apple, and organic raw red bell pepper slices everyday!!

Bacon fat? I think anything green tastes fabulous in bacon fat. It might be my Southern genes ;-)..........

@Reesacat: this Northerner loves bacon fat as well! I use it on veggies, in cornbread and in chowder. I used to have an old family recipe for bacon fat cookies!

@Mr. Wiz: if you are ever tempted to try juicing again, allow me to recommend the Omega. It's a masticating juicer so it really wrings those vegetables dry, and more importantly, cleanup is a breeze. I inherited a centrifugal juicer and quickly passed it on to Goodwill... what a hairball to clean! Although it sounds as though you do get a fair mix of fruits and veggies.

@Islander: Thanks for the recommendation for the Omega. I went to their website and discoverd there are a dozen or so "masticating" juicers. Here's a link to their page. http://www.omegajuicers.com/juicers/...g-juicers.html When convenient, would you mind identifying the one you recommend. The price ranged from $260 to $460. Thanks.

Gosh, the last ones look so much alike...prolly the 8003 or the 8004. Mine is all white, came with a 10-yr. guarantee, very rugged, but if I had it to do again I'd go for the stainless model. The white parts do discolor.
    I think it's the 8003 for $229 on page 2 that's most like mine. That's actually what I aid for mine oh... 4-5 years ago. They are VERY heavy, but I shopped around and Mercola was offering the same price with free shipping. Bingo!

Another option is an Oscar masticating juicer. We were tossing up between an Oscar and an Omega when we got ours but settled on the Oscar. They are both good choices.

@Islander: Thanks for identifying your juicer. Now, I'll do some bargain hunting. Lol

@Aaltrude: Thanks for the tip about an Oscar. Their website touts the "Cold Press" technology of the Oscar. The Baby Oscar looks interesting too. Again, thanks for the tip.

I also have an Oscar. I've had other juicers in the past, and, like you, gradually stopped using them because they were such a pain to clean up. The Oscar has only a a very small area that needs to be scrubbed with a toothbrush - the rest is really easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information