Thread: Probiotic Prevents ADHD And Autism

Default Probiotic Prevents ADHD And Autism

David Perlmutter, MD
    No Date

Right now in America more than 6 million children carry a diagnosis of ADHD. I think it is fair to say that autism has become an epidemic when you consider that, today, as many as 1 in 40 male births will ultimately be diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum.
    So aside from hoping that effective treatments will be developed, there’s no question that we have to wonder what may be causing these issues, and if that can be determined, what can be done to fix the problem. One thing that has been clearly supported in research is a relationship between what goes on in the gut and the development of neuropsychiatric disorders like these mentioned here. Bowel issues are common in ADHD and are seen almost universally in autistic children.
    Certainly, front and center in research these days is the understanding that the gut bacteria, part of the human microbiome, plays a huge role in terms of brain health and function. As such, researchers in Finland decided to explore the possibility that changing the microbiome might be associated with a reduced risk for both ADHD and autism.

To read the rest of the article go to:
    http://www.drperlmutter.com/probioti...eid=9b95f95ed7
    Last edited by Islander; 04-06-15 at 03:21 PM. Reason: typo in title

Default Re: Probiotic Prevents ADHD And Autism

Fascinating study!! I continue to read study after study pointing to the benefits of the probiotic strain: lactobacillus rhamnosus. This one strain has been credited for reducing cavities in children, controlling diarrhea in children, and most recently helping to improve peanut allergies in children. This research now adds ADHD and autism to this list. As I've researched probiotics in general, I've learned that scientist have isolated a dozen or so strains of probiotics. However, the body uses these 12 or so strains to create hundreds of other probiotics in our gut. Fascinating stuff.

Default Re: Probiotic Prevents ADHD And Autism

I'm making a note for my ADD kiddo to take the probiotics in the fridge.

Thread Information