Thread: Stem-Cell Dental Implants Grow New Teeth Right In Your Mouth

Default Stem-Cell Dental Implants Grow New Teeth Right In Your Mouth

Denise Ngo
    May 25, 2010

Dr. Jeremy Mao has unveiled a technique that directs the body's stem cells into a scaffolding that will aid in the regeneration of a new tooth.

The loss of a tooth is a minor deformity and a major pain. Although dental implants are available, the healing process can take months on end, and implants that fail to align with the ever-growing jawbone tend to fall out. If only adult teeth could be regenerated, right?

According to a study published in the latest Journal of Dental Research, a new tissue regeneration technique may allow people to simply regrow a new set of pearly whites.
    Read more: http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...generate-teeth
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Stem-Cell Dental Implants Grow New Teeth Right In Your Mouth

WOW! That's great news, where do you sign up for that stem cell "implant"? I wonder if they can do an entire upper or lower jaw in one swoop?

I'm in the midst, right now, of having to have my second of three implants (lower right rear #30), all molars, redone over again, as it failed earlier this year due to some kind of dental infection/deterioration. Am waiting right now for the bone (re)grafting to set up in a four month period, and then another four months for the new to be anchor to set, and all should be complete by years end if it goes well. And the new implant will use an improved anchoring technique, according to my dentist. This implant was performed around 2010, while the other two implants in the upper left jaw were performed around 2007 (#12) and 2012 (adjacent #13), have so far been flawless.
    Last edited by grulla; 07-11-15 at 10:26 AM.

Veteran Member

Where else would you grow teeth in the midst anchoring technique redone over again, sounds like a great band name why didn't I think of that to evade my toothache.

Grulla, can I come live with you? Massachussetts suks and I knead change. Don't answer

Veteran Member

Woah, this will be post 111 although that would be 112 kind of a landmark if only to be forgotten

I have a root canal on my left upper front tooth that is also capped by a fake mold. I think it is close to falling out, and the gum portion that lines it is dark, and unhealthy looking in appearance. I actually welcome its departure, should it fall out. In preparation, should this occur, I've been researching alternative tooth replacements. It would be "so out of here" if I could just grow a new one! All I know is I'm sick of reading about root canals as being "Death in Your Mouth, " in addition to other studies that correlate root canals with cancer. I want this tooth gone, first and foremost.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

"wr", if you decide in favor of an implant, here is a list of dentists in NM that specialize in that;

http://www.dentalimplantsonline.com/new-mexico/

"Grulla, can I come live with you? Massachussetts suks and I knead change. Don't answer."

OK, I won't answer. LOL!

The article is five years old. If any progress had been made on this front, I'm assuming we would have heard about it by now... but it seems according to Grulla that there have been no innovations in the last five years.

Good catch Islander. I somehow missed the date on the report. I don't think I'm in tune to look for that. As a result, I am reviewing grulla's list of dentists capable of the traditional approach of implants. It's unfortunate that the VA doesn't cover this procedure, even though it would be classified as a "Medical Condition" as far as I'm concerned, so it's out of pocket for me. The VA does offer dental insurance at slightly reduced premiums, but they will only pay 50% for implant procedures under the premium plan. With that in mind, I am considering going as a cash paying patient. Some dental facilities may offer cash discounts, leaving me unburdened with monthly premiums for having (hopefully) a one time procedure. Thanks for the info grulla.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

"wr" and "Islander"; there have, in fact, been some recent implant improvements. Insist on zirconium implants over that of the older titanium, which is what I have. This is a matter that Mercola and some of his forum members mention occasionally.

The time involved to replace a lost tooth with a dental implant seems dreadfully long, and only the affluent can afford the roughly $4000 cost for a single implant. There are alternatives to replace missing teeth (and of course I know a lot of people who have never replaced missing teeth...): http://www.aaid-implant.org/dental-i...plant-options/

$4000 is what it's going to cost me to put a new roof on my barn. Assuming I could reach out and put my hand on $4000 directly from the quantum foam of the space-time continuum, would I replace a lost tooth or re-roof the barn? I'll bet you can figure out what my priority is going to be....
    Last edited by Islander; 07-13-15 at 10:37 AM.

I need to have a tooth removed very soon, but it won't be replaced. There is no way I could get an implant. As it is at the very back I can probably cope without it.

"Islander" is right, implants can be pricey. My dentist once told me that if a patient required 2,3,4, or more implants, especially in a row, the procedure could ne somewhat cheaper (by the dozen). A lot of dental patients in this part of the country go across the border to Polomas, Mexico for reasonable dental care, but I am not aware if any of those dentists in Mexico do implants. Here is an interesting link to bettereconomic tooth implanting; http://implantadvice.org/how-to-save...ntal-implants/

"Julieanne" just FYI, the #30 tooth location where my current implant repair is taking place is at the very rear, next to where my wisdom tooth used to be. The above corresponding tooth above is in original and good shape, so I don't want to see it go unused.

Thread Information