Thread: Using Abbreviations...

Super Administrator
    Augusta, Georgia, United States of America

Exclamation Using Abbreviations...

Dear members,

I would like to ask you all for a favour with regards to the use of abbreviations. I would really appreciate if you were to write that which would otherwise be the first instance of an abbreviation in full with the abbreviation in brackets and then continue writing the rest of your sentence(s) using that abbreviation.

Here is an example of what I mean:

"The USA (United States of America) is a nation or, more correctly, a federation of states which is located in the North American continent. Currently, the USA is one of the world super powers. The President of the USA is presently George W. Bush".

Anyway, I'm sure you got what I mean now!

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Last edited by Islander; 07-03-18 at 06:21 PM.

Default Re: Using Abbreviations...

Andrew, what about common 'Net and text abbreviations, like BTW and ROTFLMAO and IMHO? These are pretty universal. Would you prefer them to be written out as well? They do speed communication!
    Last edited by Islander; 07-03-18 at 06:21 PM.

Super Administrator
    Augusta, Georgia, United States of America

Quote Originally Posted by Islander
    Andrew, what about common 'Net and text abbreviations, like BTW and ROTFLMAO and IMHO? These are pretty universal. Would you prefer them to be written out as well? They do speed communication!
    Don't worry about those. I'm referring to medical terms in particular. For example, for some, when they read CFIDS (Chronic Fatigue Immune Deficiency Syndrome) they get the meaning instantly; however, others may not be that familiar with the term and consequently get confused.

The USA example was just that - an example. I don't expect anyone to writ USA or USSR in full - I mean!

Anyway, in short, this should apply to those abbreviations which you believe that others (the lay persons) might not comprehend easily. Ultimately, this is not a law which if violated you will be prosecuted; it's just a favour that you could be doing to those who read your submissions.

Andrew
    Last edited by Islander; 07-03-18 at 06:22 PM.

Good idea - there will be new members who are not familiar with CFIDS or MRSA etc. - Thanks for the suggestion!

Thread Information