Thread: Worried Sick About Obesity, Brits Might Be Seeing Sugar As'"The New Tobacco'

Default Worried Sick About Obesity, Brits Might Be Seeing Sugar As'"The New Tobacco'

Liz Dwyer
    August 26 2015

A new poll of consumer opinions and shopping habits reveals that most U.K. residents are avoiding the sweet stuff.

Medical professionals, health policy makers, and crusading activists such as chef Jamie Oliver have called it “the new tobacco.” Now concern about sugar consumption seems to be spreading to the British public too. According to a recent survey of customer shopping habits, our cousins across the pond are more concerned about the amount of sugar found in what they’re buying at the grocery store than about anything else in their food.

Read more: http://www.takepart.com/article/2015...eml-2015-08-26

Default Re: Worried Sick About Obesity, Brits Might Be Seeing Sugar As'"The New Tobacco'

No one loves their sweets more than the Brits and the Irish, I swear. Every meal has a rich dessert; every tea shop has a fluffy creamy glazed frosted tempting pastry cart. Most folks I know wouldrathercut off their left foot than give up sugar. In fact, some diabetics have had to do just that, rather than give up brownies, cakes and whoopie pies.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Worried Sick About Obesity, Brits Might Be Seeing Sugar As'"The New Tobacco'

I love all those things too and have to avoid temptation, strangely, even more so as I age! I thought it was supposed to be the other way round? But I am surprised at the mix of sweet with savoury that is popular in the US. Marshmallows with meat? Sweet potatoes with brown sugar? Sugar added to mayonnaise? I do at least like to keep my sweet and savoury apart!

Now that I think about it, those are examples of many sugar-savory combinations. Applesauce with pork, mint jelly with lamb, brown sugar with carrots/sweet potatoes/squash, cranberry sauce with turkey, even Major Gray's chutney with curry! (I haven't had mint jelly in the house since the last child left home, LOL).
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information