Thread: "Nail In The Coffin" For Calcium Supplements?

Default "Nail In The Coffin" For Calcium Supplements?

anh-usa
    October 20 2015

No, of course not. But it is true you shouldn’t take them alone.
    A new British Medical Journal study has created more headlines in the mainstream media. One article opened with this: “A new study should put the final nail in the coffin for any lingering beliefs that calcium supplements are good for you.”
    That’s odd. It was only a few years ago that the World Health Organization wanted to put calcium in everyone’s water supply. We didn’t like that proposal at all, but not because we think that calcium supplementation is a bad idea.

Read more: http://www.anh-usa.org/nail-in-the-c...m-supplements/

Default Re: "Nail In The Coffin" For Calcium Supplements?

I'm not big on calcium supplementation. Calcium is something most are not short of, as it is so plentiful in many foods. Calcium is also a bully, in that it blocks the absorption of many supplements, especially magnesium. It baffles me that so many supplement manufacturers combine calcium and magnesium. Yes, they work synergistically on a systemic level, but they compete for absorption on a digestive level. Calcium always wins. So avoid the combination bottles, and opt for individual bottles, taking the two away from each other. I take magnesium glycinate before bed, and a water based magnesium spray topically in the morning. I also take a boron supplement a couple of times a week, which helps tremendously with bone growth. Unfortunately, boron has been shown to encourage tumor growth, so avoid if cancer is an issue.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

It has been at least three years since I heard that the medical community was discouraging calcium supplements, so this is nothing new. Even if we don't eat as much of dark green leafy vegetables as we ought to, most of us get sufficient calcium from dairy products like cheese and yogurt. But I thought this was interesting: re: bisphosphonates, "These drugs do not create new bone. They just prevent the elimination of old bone. This leads to weaker bones in some people." What they don't mention is that they create brittle bones, much more apt to fracture under stress. They also failed to mention rhabdomyolysis, a much more severe condition than their "muscle pain." That they are still on the market tells me that there must be some powerful pharmaceutical money behind bisphosphonates.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

"wr"; "I'm not big on calcium supplementation". Any thoughts on coral calcium? I always thought of coral calcium VS regular supplemental calcium, in a similar vein like regular table salt VS mined ancient or Celtic sea salt, both of which have varying degrees of naturally occurring minerals. Either way, the addition of Vits. K, D, and Mg have to be important.

Calcium supplementation in any form is a bad idea; excess calcium not needed by teeth and bones ends up in soft tissues where it can do serious damage. Coral calcium has no special advantages over other sources of calcium carbonate, and harvesting it diminishes coral beds that are eroding all over the world as a result of the acidification of the oceans, a direct outcome of climate change.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thanks for pointing out this further example of how our valuable coral reefs continue to be damaged for somebody's profit.

As to the deposition of calcium in tissues where it does not enhance our health, isn't this where the issue of balanced nutrients comes in? Calcium will crowd out Magnesium when the Calcium is present in excess. Vitamin D and Vitamin K are absolutely necessary to ensure that Calcium from food or from supplements is directed to the proper tissues and processes in the body.

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    "wr"; "I'm not big on calcium supplementation". Any thoughts on coral calcium? I always thought of coral calcium VS regular supplemental calcium, in a similar vein like regular table salt VS mined ancient or Celtic sea salt, both of which have varying degrees of naturally occurring minerals. Either way, the addition of Vits. K, D, and Mg have to be important.

I'm not familiar with Coral Calcium Grulla. While there may be something to be said about its superiority to other forms of calcium, for now, I must agree with Islander's post above. I still think that only in rare instances is calcium supplementation necessary, and if Coral Calcium harvesting is detrimental to planetary sustainability, calcium avoidance in general should be employed.
    We have actually been using a new product called "EASE." It is a magnesium topical spray that can help chelate symptoms of over-calcification, such as arthritis. Although I'm not ready to endorse it yet, after only a couple of months of using it, I believe it may be helping with my post surgery neck and shoulder pain. Watch the videos on this link and see if it might be for you.

http://easemagnesium.com/discovering-mch/
    ~ Mark Twain~

Here's a recent article from Paleo Leap on calcium.

http://paleoleap.com/calcium-overthr...nzm3zgkdkgbzzb
    ~ Mark Twain~

Thread Information