Thread: Water Kefir Instructions

Default Water Kefir Instructions

Ingredients
    ¼ cup Water Kefir Grains
    3 cup of water (organic/pure or you can substitute with tap water if not requiring organic kefir)
    ¼ cup raw sugar (organic or you can substitute with standard if not requiring organic kefir)

1/8 teaspoon Bi Carb Soda (optional - if not requiring organic kefir)
    1/2 teaspoon molasses (organic or you can substitute with standard if not requiring organic kefir)
    Piece of Ginger Root (organic or substitute with standard if not requiring organic kefir)
    ¼ Lemon (organic or substitute with standard if not requiring organic kefir)

1) Add water, sugar and molasses to a glass jar and mix thoroughly until the sugar has almost dissolved. If you do not require organic kefir you can add the Bi-Carb Soda as well which helps reduce the PH and helps with grain survival and growth. You can use a little boiling water, to help dissolve the sugar and molasses, then top up with cold water.
    Note: You may not have molasses etc. on hand when you receive your grains. Don’t worry, just use grains, water and sugar until you can get hold of some molasses. Note: Molasses adds minerals/vitamins and helps kefir survive/grow.
    2) Once cool enough (luke warm) add kefir grains.

3) Add a slice of ginger and quarter of a lemon (optional).
    4) Put lid loosely on top so the mix can breathe (don’t seal as pressure may explode jar).
    5) Leave out of direct sunlight for 48hrs then remove ginger and lemon and drain liquid from grains.

6) Squeeze lemon juice into liquid. This can be stored in the fridge. This is the liquid that contains the probiotics, vitamins and minerals. I drink ¼ cup most days. If you decide to drink this please make sure it is safe for you to consume and that you are not allergic to any of the ingredients, products etc. Consult a health professional for this advice. Note: Mix is likely to have produced and contain a small amount of alcohol.
    7) Rinse grains with water and repeat the process again with new ingredients.
    8) You can adjust the amount of ingredients according to how many grains you decide to use. The grains will multiply each time you do a batch. *

9) Some people eat the left over grains

These are the instructions I got when I bought the grains. Here are my comments:

I tried it with coconut sugar once, and it was awful! Didn't work well at all.

I don't use the ginger or lemon, and haven't tried it with bicarb soda. But the molasses is quite important - quite bland without it. Nicest of all if fermented with fruit juice for a further two days. Google 'kefir second fermentation' for recipes and ideas.

I make the second fermentation all the time now, as it has more flavour and is slightly fizzy - much like a soda. Basically, just add 1/2 cup fruit juice to the finished Kefir and leave two days.

If you are pushed for time you can leave it a bit longer - it doesn't seem to affect the taste .I have left it as long as 24 hours. If you have to go away, you can add the grains to the solution and store in the refrigerator till you are ready. (Haven't tried this)

*Doesn't multiply as fast as this I've found. I divide it about once a week. I have mailed excess to friends, and it was fine
    Last edited by Islander; 09-05-16 at 09:36 PM.

Default Re: Water Kefir Instructions

Thank you, Julie. I don't know how I missed this earlier. How do you store the grains between fermentations?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

You don't, you just make more Kefir. Unless you don't want any more immediately, in which case see my comment above. It's like Kombucha, an endless cycle. Doesn't take a lot of time, but you do need to be consistent, which is why a few people I know won't make it.

Veteran Member

We had water kefir going for a while, and then, I don't know why, it just lost its vitality and quit propagating itself or even really making kefir. About a month ago someone gave us a kombucha scoby, and it's doing wonderfully. We're so thankful for it!

Patty. do you use molasses in your Keir? Apparently it's pretty important. Then again, I have heard it can be unpredictable.

I found lists of probiotics for water and milk Keir, but no luck searching for Kombucha information. Makes it hard to compare.

Thread Information