Thread: 6 Lessons Being A Military Pilot Taught Me For Life

Default 6 Lessons Being A Military Pilot Taught Me For Life

Carl Forsling
    January 19, 2016

Lessons from being a military aviator can make your life better, Carl Forsling, a former MV-22B Osprey pilot, writes.

Being a military pilot has some skills that cross over to regular life and some that don’t. In daily life, I have only an average sense of direction, for example. When my ex asked how I got lost on a drive when I could navigate a multi-million dollar aircraft just fine, my only explanation was,”In my aircraft I don’t have someone shouting in my damn ear.”
    At the same time, 20 years of flying aircraft like the CH-46E Sea Knight and the MV-22B Osprey does teach you a couple of things. To name a few:

Read more: http://taskandpurpose.com/6-lessons-...paign=tp-today

Last edited by Islander; 01-20-16 at 12:12 PM.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

Default Re: 6 Lessons Being A Military Pilot Taught Me For Life

This is terrific! Thanks! I'm sharing it.

I like #5. In psychotherapy, we call this "awfulizing." To alleviate anxiety, imagine the worst possible scenarios for the upcoming event. Think of all possible outcomes; visualize what could go wrong in every case. Run through the steps that you'd go through in every situation in order to bring things under control. Chances are nothing will go wrong, but in the event that it starts to go south, you've already prepared yourself intellectually and emotionally to deal with the consequences.

In an emergency pilots are trained to remember that their first priority is to “fly the plane”.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I like #5. In psychotherapy, we call this "awfulizing." To alleviate anxiety, imagine the worst possible scenarios for the upcoming event. Think of all possible outcomes; visualize what could go wrong in every case. Run through the steps that you'd go through in every situation in order to bring things under control. Chances are nothing will go wrong, but in the event that it starts to go south, you've already prepared yourself intellectually and emotionally to deal with the consequences.

In an emergency pilots are trained to remember that their first priority is to “fly the plane”.
    Absolutely Islander, and in emergencies, the priority rotation is as follows: AVIATE, NAVIGATE, COMMUNICATE.
    ~ Mark Twain~

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    This is terrific! Thanks! I'm sharing it.
    Please do. Thanks Maurya
    ~ Mark Twain~

Thread Information