Thread: 7 Exotic Foods From The Sea Which Boost Your Immune System

Default 7 Exotic Foods From The Sea Which Boost Your Immune System

KAREN FOSTER
    MARCH 21, 2016

Seaweed might soon be an ingredient in functional foods since they are so effective at strengthening gut mucus, slowing down digestion and making food release its energy more slowly. Not only does it have heavy duty detox properties, but it contains one of the most important minerals for the human body in abundance--iodine.

1) ARAME
    Arame seaweed is a brownish-black and stringy looking plant used in traditional Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and Indonesian cooking. Subspecies of arame are also found along the coast of Alaska and California. Arame is high in calcium, iodine, iron, magnesium, and vitamin A as well as being a dietary source of many other minerals. It also is harvested for alginate, fertilizer and iodide. It contains the storage polysaccharide laminarin and the tripeptide eisenin, a peptide with immunological activity. Few may be aware of the detoxifying benefits of this seaweed which contains abundant amount of chlorophyll, which binds to and neutralizes toxins before flushing them out of your body.

Read more: http://preventdisease.com/news/16/03...m_medium=email
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: 7 Exotic Foods From The Sea Which Boost Your Immune System

Wish I knew more about local seaweeds, though I live far from the beach. I used to collect it and use on my garden, but now rely on seaweed concentrate. I'd love to try some of these.

Grammar Nazi here (yes, another one)! I wish writers wouldn't use exotic as though it meant unusual or different; it means foreign. Not all of these are foreign.

BTW, my post about the seaweed farmer calls the seaweed salty, but apparently this is not true - seaweed doesn't retain salt in its tissues. If it did, cultures that add to it to their crops would be adding a lot of salt, which would kill them. It's a good idea to wash off the salt on the surface though, then it's OK to use.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 03-22-16 at 10:59 PM.

Back in my misspent youth, I had been taught that all edible seaweeds, except nori which has been processed, were to be rinsed off quickly, then soaked in clean water, then cooked, usually in their soaking water. Works for me.

Though I live a short distance from the coast of Maine, I don't know where I would go to harvest seaweed. Most of the 3600-mile coastline, where the seaweed is found, is rocky — meaning it doesn't lend itself to walking over it with a hayfork and a garbage bag. And seaweed is not typically found on the few sandy beaches. For all I know, there may even be laws about collecting it.

But there are several packaged alternatives, and I know they can be ordered on line. The one I use (to complement my iodine intake along with sea salt) is called "Vitamin Sea," a dried flaked wild kombu. It's available in local natural food stores. I sprinkle it on salads and toss it into soups. Nearly tasteless and a healthy source of iodine.
    Last edited by Islander; 03-23-16 at 10:24 AM.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information